TechSpot

Apple's iMessage responsible for 30 percent of all mobile spam, researcher claims

By Shawn Knight
Aug 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's iMessage used to be one of the better and safer ways to communicate outside of carrier-based text messaging. But according to security researcher Tom Landesman of anti-spam company Cloudmark, iMessage is now responsible for more than 30 percent of...

    Read more
     
  2. Rippleman

    Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

    I have been using iphones (and android too) for 5 years now.... I have not received a single spam message in that entire time.

    Side note: when they say 30%, then I guess the other 70% is standard text messaging? which with 89% of the market, means Android would be extreme leader in mobile messaging spam right?
     
  3. This honestly doesn't bother me. This has happened to me at least 3 times in the last year. All I do is block the spammer email and that's that. It's not like they come in every day or even every week. They occur less often than an unwanted spam-like email.
     
  4. "and android too"
    right...
     
  5. "Apple's iMessage used to be one of the better and safer ways to communicate outside of carrier-based text messaging"
    Still is, despite the claims of this article and the cited researcher. iMessages continue to be encrypted, and there is no security lost by a lucky "trial and error" guess by a spammer; which brings me to the next point:

    "simply be a matter of trial and error to create a list of verified iMessage recipients."
    A huge waste of time for the spammer. If I signed up for something and forgot to uncheck the "send me promotional material" box, that's my bad for that oversight and registering my email associated with my Apple ID, putting my name of a list. That's what alternate emails are for. Also, as a previous commenter mentioned, you can block unwanted senders.

    "the service even lets the sender know if the message has been read or not."
    Users can turn read receipts off, and an obvious spam message would likely be deleted without opening it by most users.

    This entire article and the assertions by the security researcher would carry more weight and be meaningful if it provided a more comparative analysis; that is, iMessage vs. Facebook Messages vs. Google Messenger, etc., and all those version general email spam statistics.
     
  6. Rippleman

    Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

    lets pretend for a moment that you are correct in the crazy assumption that I have not owned/currently own 3 Android handsets, hows does that change anything from what I said to be true based on easy math?
     
  7. SNGX1275

    SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

    I started really using iMessage a year and a half or 2 years ago, I haven't received any spam either...
     
  8. I have been using Android for 4-5 years and I have never received a single spam.
    30% of spams of iMessage does not mean 70% on sms. It means that 70% shared between sms and other messaging apps. Your comparison with Android is not really relevant here. The problem is not the OS but the messaging app. Read the original article on Wired. It gives a bit more detail.
     
  9. Rippleman

    Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

    I too have been using Android for 4 years without spam...
     
  10. davislane1

    davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,562   +2,370

    I use iMessage on occasion. I receive about one spam per month, on average. Interestingly, if we use these reposes to validate the findings, we arrive at approximately 33%.

    As per the general rules of statistics, individual experience may vary.
     

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...