TechSpot

Apple's Newton, 20 years later: it was a failure, but oh - you could smell the future

By Julio Franco
Aug 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I think we need to remember that as engineers and technologists. We get caught up in the short-term tactical delivery of technology. We don’t see the sometimes immense ripples in society from our work - even years later.

Read more
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,659   +82

I never owned this model but I had the AVIGO by Texas Instrument. PDA - Personal Data Assistant. AVIGO 10 still works today although showing it's age. Clone of the Apple Newton but thinner than the Newton. Ran off 2x AAA batteries and 1 CRXx watch battery or the same type used in PC MOBO for the backup battery.

TI AVIGO 10 was built to last which it did!
  3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 902   +52

Wow I can't believe it's been 20 years, I feel old now.
    JC713 likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

I always thought the Newton was cool.
  5. Mentioning StrongArm takes me back to my DEC days. DEC was a great place to work and did some amazing engineering in its day. ODS was the forerunner of indexed filesystems. ALPHA started the push to 64-bit computing. Oh, if we only had made microVMS licenseable and cheap, it could have become a very good PC OS, or RSX could have become what DOS became. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,347   +397

That was a great read. I remember a couple of Executives in my company had those and I spent more time in their office trying to make them work "right" than any other device/software I've known.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.