Apple's plan to catch up with Google Maps: Data-collecting drones

Jos

Staff

Apple is stepping up its efforts to close the gap between its own mapping app and Google’s. According to Bloomberg, the company is assembling a team of robotics and data-collection experts that will use drones to capture and update map information faster than its existing fleet of camera-and-sensor equipped minivans. This includes monitoring changes to roads, street signs, and spot areas under construction.

Using drones to collect the huge amounts of mapping data could prove quite challenging under current regulations. Official commercial drone guidelines introduced in August mandate that drones can only be flown during daylight hours, and licensed pilots must keep the drones within their line of sight during operation. Apple also can’t fly its drones over people and buildings.

Apple has committed to these guidelines according to FAA documents. The company is said to have hired at least one employee from Amazon’s Air division to help run its own drone team based in Seattle.

Aside from data collection using drones, Apple is also reportedly developing a new feature that will let users view the insides of buildings, thanks to its Indoor.io and WifiSLAM acquisitions, as well as a feature that provides better guidance for changing lanes while driving.

Apple suffered a critical backlash in 2012 when it decided to replace the pre-installed Google Maps on iOS 6 in favor of its own -- admittedly lacking -- mapping solution. They’ve been busy working on improving it ever since, with updated data, new imagery and new features. It’s gotten a lot better and dependable but the general consensus is that it’s still no match for Google Maps.

Permalink to story.

Anything is good for better competition if its for the people. I hope they pull it off. Google maps is easily my (and most others) choice for mapping but if Apple can try harder, I welcome their efforts.

Apple has developed it's own mapping app after the last hilarious fiasco? Too little, too late. Google maps are the standard, even for iSheep.

even for iSheep.
May I ask how old you are? I was under the impression that most people of age can simply accept that someone else prefers something you may not. As an android user, I laugh at people who still use that childish association word "isheep" and dismiss most of what they say onwards. If they are immature enough to make unfounded comparisons based on preference, what is the chance they are immature in other areas? I would say highly likely.

May I ask how old you are? I was under the impression that most people of age can simply accept that someone else prefers something you may not. As an android user, I laugh at people who still use that childish association word "isheep" and dismiss most of what they say onwards. If they are immature enough to make unfounded comparisons based on preference, what is the chance they are immature in other areas? I would say highly likely.
Nice try.

It's not unfounded.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161121144206.htm

"
A comparison of both Android and iPhone users revealed that iPhone users are more likely to be:

• Younger
  • More than twice as likely to be women
  • More likely to see their phone as a status object
  • More extraverted
  • Less concerned about owning devices favoured by most people
In contrast, Android users were more likely to be:

• Male
  • Older
  • More honest
  • More agreeable
  • Less likely to break rules for personal gain
  • Less interested in wealth and status"

Wasn't a "try", was a real question. More often then not, it always seems to be very young preteens trying to sound cool. It appears you are "trying" to sound cool; hence the question.
I'm not trying to sound cool, it's a real term. Just as North Americans are known as Yanks, the British are known as Poms, the French are known as Frogs... and dyed-in-the-wool Apple aficionados are known as iSheep. I never coined the term but it's real.

I'm not trying to sound cool, it's a real term. Just as North Americans are known as Yanks, the British are known as Poms, the French are known as Frogs... and dyed-in-the-wool Apple aficionados are known as iSheep. I never coined the term but it's real.
I never made the claim you coined it. I said that it's a term preteens and teens use to describe someone who chooses to own an iPhone over their own personal preference of Android. If you identify with that group (or more likely part of it) so be it. Just wanted to let you know that you honestly don't sound cool if you are NOT part of that age category when you use the word. My 12 year thought it was funny when he used to say it when he was younger. Now 16, he now realizes how silly it sounds and understands that people have different preferences then ones own. Like I said, if you are not yet 16, you will see it eventually too.

I never made the claim you coined it. I said that it's a term preteens and teens use to describe someone who chooses to own an iPhone over their own personal preference of Android. If you identify with that group (or more likely part of it) so be it. Just wanted to let you know that you honestly don't sound cool if you are NOT part of that age category when you use the word. My 12 year thought it was funny when he used to say it when he was younger. Now 16, he now realizes how silly it sounds and understands that people have different preferences then ones own. Like I said, if you are not yet 16, you will see it eventually too.
Well, since it's his preference to call people different things based on their preferences, I suppose you'll also prefer to be understanding of that, as it's your preference to be understanding of how people have different preferences.

Well, since it's his preference to call people different things based on their preferences, I suppose you'll also prefer to be understanding of that, as it's your preference to be understanding of how people have different preferences.
Not when it implies a "I am better because of what I like" intention. I reject his claim and only trying to help the young guy.

Back