Apple's smartwatch to pack 10 sensors, might come in different sizes

Jos

Staff

Apple has been long rumoured to be working on a smartwatch, and recent hires as well as the company’s growing interest in health and fitness-tracking would suggest that we might see something sooner rather than later. If “people familiar with the matter” speaking to the Wall Street Journal are to be trusted, we could even see multiple versions with different screen sizes.

The paper says the wrist device is likely to be launched in the fall and will pack more than 10 sensors. Although no specific features were discussed in the report, the device is expected to have a strong focus on health and fitness.

One source at a component supplier said shipments of the smartwatches are estimated to total between 10 and 15 million units by the end of this year.

The claims about having multiple screen sizes do sound a bit unlikely for Apple, which is usually all about streamlined product lineups, doing fewer things but doing them well. It could be that they’re still experimenting with different form factors in house, or perhaps they are going a different route seeing as watches are fashion accessories and one design might not fit all.

A separate Reuters report recently talked about a single 2.5-inch screen device with wireless charging and pulse sensing capabilities.

Apple has been hinting at new product categories for a while and most are putting their bets on something TV-related and wearables. Just last month at the Code Conference, media chief Eddy Cue teased that the roadmap for upcoming products is the best he’s seen in his 25 years at Apple.

Permalink to story.

They look nice.

I'm not sure how practical they will be. I personally don't want anything loose on my arm, and this doesn't look to be very fitting. I didn't see mention of battery life either.

It makes no difference whether they're good, crap or indifferent, iFans will buy them without thinking twice, not even realizing they were badly overcharged.

It makes no difference whether they're good, crap or indifferent, iFans will buy them without thinking twice, not even realizing they were badly overcharged.
as much as I agree, ill wait for this to come out before making a judgement- at this point in time any would-be-equivelant is also badly overcharged.

Crazy random thought, how long until our prison system starts making and using smart cuffs? The style of those smart watches just made me totally think that futuristic cuffs might look very very similar in style. Naturally these cuffs are obviously missing the high power magnetizing system that would be used to couple two hands behind the back but otherwise I could see it happening.

Then by your definition a product that generates a $.01 profit is overcharged, Where is the line of "charged too much"?

as much as I agree, ill wait for this to come out before making a judgement- at this point in time any would-be-equivelant is also badly overcharged.
Sammy's Gear is a rip off as far as I'm concerned and from what I understand it's not the most popular kid on the block but if these things become genuinely useful then they'll sell and prices will come down, apart from Apples that is, but that won't stop dyed-in-the-wool iSheep fawning all over them. They've got their fans by the short hairs.

I'm not an apple fan but those are nice looking. the one in the middle's awesome
Jos has just pointed out that those are just concept renderings and are probably not indicative of the real thing but who knows for sure apart from Apple and they're not talking.

Sometimes because it was (insanely) overcharged, people will buy it. In contrary, if it's not overcharged ridiculously, the selling will be dropped down/people won't buy it. That's what exactly happen in my country, believe it or not..

"It is not overcharged if people buy it."
--I'd rather call it because brand recognition

"Then by your definition a product that generates a $.01 profit is overcharged, Where is the line of "charged too much"?
--$.01 profit? I'd rather call it as a loss

Interested in seeing how much it costs. Interested in knowing if it will make a good target for thieves (if you have an iWatch in plain view, there's likely an iPhone in your pocket).

Interested in whether they can make the heart rate monitor work properly while making the watch comfortable. Also how well it integrates with ios8 health book and whether it's a one stop shop that doesn't require any additional software to get good use out of it (like does it cover features that Nike are offering in their apps).

Interested in seeing how much it costs. Interested in knowing if it will make a good target for thieves (if you have an iWatch in plain view, there's likely an iPhone in your pocket).
Where I am from people frequently advertise which phone they use, without the need for any other device.

Where I am from people frequently advertise which phone they use, without the need for any other device.

I don't. I prefer to keep my iphone tucked away from plain site until required and even then I have a look around to check for dodgy folk.

And what if you're not D!ck Tracy, what are you going to do with all that junk.?
It is not overcharged if people buy it.
No, if you bought it, you can't get your head around the fact that you were overcharged. Your mind inverts the equation to, "look how much status I achieved by buying this".

Only those other than the original buyer will know you were overcharged. But what do they know? They can't comprehend how smug status makes you feel. It's a damned warm glow and feeling of contentment you get when Apple empties your wallet for you. No more lugging around those big, heavy, hundred dollar bills, no sir. You know what true freedom really means.

And what if you're not D!ck Tracy, what are you going to do with all that junk.?
No, if you bought it, you can't get your head around the fact that you were overcharged. Your mind inverts the equation to, "look how much status I achieved by buying this".

Only those other than the original buyer will know you were overcharged. But what do they know? They can't comprehend how smug status makes you feel. It's a damned warm glow and feeling of contentment you get when Apple empties your wallet for you. No more lugging around those big, heavy, hundred dollar bills, no sir. You know what true freedom really means.

If it works well I'll probably buy one. If it's too expensive I won't. But what's that about freedom, you have the freedom to buy it or not buy it. Why do you care about the cost unless you want one yourself?

If it works well I'll probably buy one. If it's too expensive I won't. But what's that about freedom, you have the freedom to buy it or not buy it. Why do you care about the cost unless you want one yourself?
Because even after more than 6 decades of living, I never tire of hearing myself say, "a fool and his money are soon parted company". And know what else? The US Constitution guarantees me the right to do exactly that.

Everybody told Apple Smartwatch will be the next big thing coming soon when Steve Jobs presents iPhone 1.
lol

Back