TechSpot

Apple's smartwatch to pack 10 sensors, might come in different sizes

By Jos
Jun 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has been long rumoured to be working on a smartwatch, and recent hires as well as the company's growing interest in health and fitness-tracking would suggest that we might see something sooner rather than later. If "people familiar with...

Read more

cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,551   +2,894

They look nice.

I'm not sure how practical they will be. I personally don't want anything loose on my arm, and this doesn't look to be very fitting. I didn't see mention of battery life either.

3. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 2,708   +87

Those are just concept renderings, not the actual thing.

ikesmasher and cliffordcooley like this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

It makes no difference whether they're good, crap or indifferent, iFans will buy them without thinking twice, not even realizing they were badly overcharged.

5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,555   +861

as much as I agree, ill wait for this to come out before making a judgement- at this point in time any would-be-equivelant is also badly overcharged.

6. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

Crazy random thought, how long until our prison system starts making and using smart cuffs? The style of those smart watches just made me totally think that futuristic cuffs might look very very similar in style. Naturally these cuffs are obviously missing the high power magnetizing system that would be used to couple two hands behind the back but otherwise I could see it happening.

7. It is not overcharged if people buy it.

8. cliffordcooley

The term overcharged implies, people did buy it and was charged too much. Your statement doesn't make sense, because at no other time can the term be used.

Steve likes this.
  9. Then by your definition a product that generates a $.01 profit is overcharged, Where is the line of "charged too much"?

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Sammy's Gear is a rip off as far as I'm concerned and from what I understand it's not the most popular kid on the block but if these things become genuinely useful then they'll sell and prices will come down, apart from Apples that is, but that won't stop dyed-in-the-wool iSheep fawning all over them. They've got their fans by the short hairs.

ikesmasher likes this.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Right under your nose.

12. at0mic_Mike

at0mic_Mike TS Member Posts: 31

I'm not an apple fan but those are nice looking. the one in the middle's awesome

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Jos has just pointed out that those are just concept renderings and are probably not indicative of the real thing but who knows for sure apart from Apple and they're not talking.

14. Sometimes because it was (insanely) overcharged, people will buy it. In contrary, if it's not overcharged ridiculously, the selling will be dropped down/people won't buy it. That's what exactly happen in my country, believe it or not..

15. "It is not overcharged if people buy it."
    --I'd rather call it because brand recognition

"Then by your definition a product that generates a $.01 profit is overcharged, Where is the line of "charged too much"?
    --$.01 profit? I'd rather call it as a loss

16. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 828   +54

Interested in seeing how much it costs. Interested in knowing if it will make a good target for thieves (if you have an iWatch in plain view, there's likely an iPhone in your pocket).

Interested in whether they can make the heart rate monitor work properly while making the watch comfortable. Also how well it integrates with ios8 health book and whether it's a one stop shop that doesn't require any additional software to get good use out of it (like does it cover features that Nike are offering in their apps).

17. cliffordcooley

Where I am from people frequently advertise which phone they use, without the need for any other device.

18. yukka

I don't. I prefer to keep my iphone tucked away from plain site until required and even then I have a look around to check for dodgy folk.

19. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,692   +1,879

And what if you're not D!ck Tracy, what are you going to do with all that junk.?
    No, if you bought it, you can't get your head around the fact that you were overcharged. Your mind inverts the equation to, "look how much status I achieved by buying this".

Only those other than the original buyer will know you were overcharged. But what do they know? They can't comprehend how smug status makes you feel. It's a damned warm glow and feeling of contentment you get when Apple empties your wallet for you. No more lugging around those big, heavy, hundred dollar bills, no sir. You know what true freedom really means.

20. yukka

If it works well I'll probably buy one. If it's too expensive I won't. But what's that about freedom, you have the freedom to buy it or not buy it. Why do you care about the cost unless you want one yourself?

21. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,692   +1,879

Because even after more than 6 decades of living, I never tire of hearing myself say, "a fool and his money are soon parted company". And know what else? The US Constitution guarantees me the right to do exactly that.

Arris likes this.
  22. Everybody told Apple Smartwatch will be the next big thing coming soon when Steve Jobs presents iPhone 1.
    lol