Application Popup

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormBringer

This morning I found something odd sitting on my desktop, it was a spam ad but this was done through Messenger Service(not MSN Messenger). I didn't really think much of it at the time but later I found reference to it in Event Viewer. What I want to know now is how do I stop this type of message.

I had to reinstall recently due to ha hardware failure so I am still tweaking my settings back to the way they were, this may be why this has never happened before. If there is something I need to disable or a firewall setting I've forgotten about.

Below is the Info from the message from Event Viewer.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 10/15/2002
Time: 3:02:07 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER
Description:
Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from WEBPOPUP05 to 208.162.62.24 on 10/15/2002 3:02:07 AM

U N I V E R S I T Y D I P L O M A S

Obtain a prosperous future, money earning power,
and the admiration of all.

Diplomas from prestigious non-accredited
universities based on your present knowledge
and life experience.

No required tests, classes, books, or interviews.

Bachelors, masters, MBA, and doctorate (PhD)
diplomas available in the field of your choice.

No one is turned down.

Confidentiality assured.

CALL NOW to receive your diploma
within days!!!

1 - 2 1 4 - 4 4 6 - 0 2 9 2

Call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including
Sundays and holidays.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

UPDATE: I was able to find the cause of this problem. The Messenger Service was enabled, I clearly remember disabling it a few days ago while making some other changes, anyway, this service allows anyone to send messages to your computer using your IP. The service doesn't even check the source of the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back