TechSpot

Are these methods ok?

By Darrenbilly
Sep 26, 2007
  1. I have bitdefender free version, spybot search and destroy, i also run the online bitdefender scan every few days. Are these methods ok of protecting my pc? If not please say!
    Cheers
    Darren

2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

it depends on what you want to protect yourself from :)

you will want some sort of firewall (if you have a router just use the windows built in one). you may want to install lavasoft ad-aware, but other that that i'd say you're probably ok :)

3. Darrenbilly

Darrenbilly TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 161

I have a wireless router

I do have a wireless router, i have no other installed firewall than the one windows has on its xp. Should i get a individual one or not? If so please suggest one!
    Cheers
    Darren

4. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 1,687

if you're going through a router and have its firewall turned on as well as the windows one you should be ok

i'm using the one in my router and the windows vista built in firewall and i only get the occasional tracking cookie, which is no big deal really

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,317   +618

suggest you add Spywareblaster; it protects from ActiveX junk.

also add the host file found http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

save as to \windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS
    (notice missing .txt)
    this will protect you from KNOWN trojans and spyware sites

6. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

I agree with Jobeard, if you change the hosts the trojans and spyware websites can't go into your computer or contact their servers if they do get in ;)

I have a wireless router but I still use Comodo ( best firewall ever :D ) because I found the windows firewall to be kind of crap :haha:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.