Are These Specs Good for a Gaming PC? (First Build Ever)

By Babukus
May 9, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Hello pc builders, I'd like to ask for some advice on building a gaming pc. I've picked out some parts that I think are good, but I do not know that much about custom building computers and what parts are most suitable for gaming.
    I'm trying to keep the price limit at $1000 USD. Here are the parts that I've picked out.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    HDD: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Case (probs doesn't matter) Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case

Thank you
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 869   +8

Babukus likes this.
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I would lower the mobo to something like a Gaming 5 and lower the case to something like a Corsair 200r. With those price savings, use the $ to a better GPU like the AMD R9 270 or 270X. If you can squeeze in an SSD that would be a monster build! Good job!
    Babukus likes this.
  4. Dino Dub

Dino Dub TS Member Posts: 16

I would suggest these 3: Intel Core i5-2500k (great overclocker), some z77 MOBO and 8GB of DDR3. I was lucky enough to spend just 256$ total (even got the warranty for used parts, cpu and mobo - 2 years) and I live in Bosnia, which has crazy high component prices. It is blazing fast, won't get outadated anytime soon, and it leaves you with an upgrade path with 2 Intel gens in mind. Hell, even the previous gen core i7s 920, or higher are rock-solid for gaming even though it is pretty old.

If you can find this for lower price, you can even go for radeon r9 280x
  5. fearraza

fearraza TS Rookie Posts: 16

For a used system, its a good to go for gaming and even daily basis. My previous build was Athlon X4 955 and it still rocks on gaming, then I switched to Intel's haswell
    Dino Dub likes this.
  6. Dino Dub

Dino Dub TS Member Posts: 16

How happy are you with Haswell, and what exact CPU u got? :) I don't plan on switching this cpu for at least 2 years.