ARM CEO: we're not going 64-bit anytime soon

By Emil
Feb 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. ARM, the company responsible for the majority of processors in today's smartphones, does not have plans to add 64-bit support to its architecture anytime soon. Given that the company plans to take on Intel and AMD in the server market three years from now, color us surprised.

Read the whole story
  2. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 509   +35

"we're also not completely certain the company needs to enter the server market in the first place. It's not like the mobile chip market is going away anytime soon. "

With companies like Microsoft asking for 16-Core Atom Chip servers, I'm guessing the server market is going to stay important in the future. If these servers are the backbone of all of our info and eat up so much power then I'm sure ARM may have a future in there.
  3. Omnislip

Omnislip TS Rookie Posts: 91

For sure that's true, but what this guy says isnt neccessarily what he's going to do...
  4. I think MIPS should enter the 64-bit power efficient server race ... they are already there with the architecture and would probably beat ARM to the punch if they started right now.
  5. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 416   +43

read my lips:ARM will have 64 bit cores by the end of the year, max the beginning of 2012 And I mean physical, working samples.