Art Lebedev shows off Optimus Popularis keyboard

By Jos
Jun 30, 2010
  1. Art Lebedev Studio garnered a lot of attention when their Optimus Maximus keyboard concept surfaced in 2005. The peripheral touted a full set of OLED keys that were 100% user-customizable and looked downright amazing. After three years in development and many, many delays to the point of actually being labeled as "vaporware," the Optimus Maximus keyboard finally began shipping in 2008 with an obscene price tag of around $1,500.

Read the whole story
  2. In my opinion, a keyboard is a keyboard. Why should I buy a $1000 keyboard that has the same functionality of that of a $15 one? yes, it has some bells and whistles (LED keys, customization...) that you'll toy with for a few days and then... back to business. And this 'outrageously expensive' keyboard will be used as the $15 one!!
  3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,028   +613

You could more or less argue the same thing about cars... but I agree, $1000 for a keyboard is outrageous.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

If I were obscenely wealthy, to the point where I was buying hand crafted cars, $1,000 on a keyboard isn't that bad. I could easily spend $2,000 on a 15" laptop from Apple, and double or triple that on a gaming desktop computer. So there are places where this is a small fraction beside the computer total cost. But for the common middle-class citizen, this is an investment in lunacy.

I can see how a PC tweaker would be thrilled to have this sort of thing, I think that it has a future. But only perhaps at $199 or less.
  5. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 612

If I had the money, I'd do it. Until then, absolutely not.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.