Articles or advertising?

mbk34

I recently had a message deleted and told I was trolling. I spend a moderate amount of time writing all my posts and making sure they're fair. The post concerned a recent article in TS for a kickstarter campaign for a 3D printer and laser. My post was pointing out that the article was just advertising copy. It seemed a very fair comment. Is that trolling? Most of TS articles are great and it's obvious how much work goes into them but does TS not accept fair criticism for those that might be a little below par?

I read your post about the Kickstarter campaign article and I don't think pointing out that it seemed like advertising copy is trolling. It's important for a community like this to have open discussions and fair criticisms. Sometimes moderators might be a bit quick to judge, but I believe your intention was to contribute constructively. Hopefully, your feedback will be taken in the right spirit moving forward!

I have undeleted your comment. I don't think the moderator jumped the gun, it could be seen as trolling but it's a fine line. The news post was alright (new writer). She pointed out the features and it's a kickstarter (so, unreleased product) -- it made the news because it's an interesting take on that product category and it comes from an established manufacturer.

Needless to say (it's part of our ethics guidelines which are visible and linked prominently on every story), we don't mix ads with news coverage. When we post about deals, we tell you it's a deal and we may get a commission. When we post an advertorial, we clearly label it as such.

Back