ASRock 939 and Athlon 3700 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarvis

I am currently running:

Athlon 3700+ San Diego
ASRock 939 Dual SATA II
512x2 OZC PC 3200 2.5-3-3-7

I have my CPU at 245 x 11 giving me 2.7GHz. This thing absolutely screams but my memory is letting me down because it wont boot unless I cut the ratio to .83 making it run at 192mhz X 2 (DDR384). I figured I would try to set the multiplier down to 10 and the FSB to around 260 making the Memory run a little over 200mhz. When I set the multiplier down in BIOS it boots up fine and reads the correct clock frequecy..but when I get into windows, CPU-z says I still have the 11x multi and my CPU is running at 2.86ghz. The system is way to unstable to run at this clock speed. Everest home edition is also saying I am still using the 11x multiplier. When I go back into BIOS the multiplier is set to 10x... This is confusing the hell out of me. Does anyone know what the problem might be?? Am I going to be stuck with a slight performance loss?

Thanks!

260 is not "a little" over 200 for your memory. you should reset everything to it's factory settings. then move up your clocks in small increments, checking your results and system stability each time. this way, you can find the exact limit on your rig rather than pushing it too fdar right off the bat.

in the opinion of myself and many others, asrock motherboards are generally low in quality and performance, so you might be getting erratic behavior no matter what. if you are serious obout O/Cing, i advise that you get a quality name brand mobo (asus, gigabyte, msi, for example) and use that, as it will give better results.

Altough I appreciate your words, you are not coming close to answering my question. I was simply asking about a trouble in changing multipliers. 260 FSB is overkill with an 11x multiplier and I know that. However, it is not with a 10x multiplier and I have haven't even come close to setting my FSB to 260 with an 11x multiplier, that would be insane. My question was regarding a 10x multiplier.... Anyways, I have resolved my problem on my own...my Mem is not that high quality(OCZ value), so I kept the 11x multiplier and ran it at 225..to get 2.48ghz and DDR 450. I just kept testing different values to get the best performance and stablilty. 2.7GHz with DDR 384 is not as good as 2.5ghz with DDR 450.... A learning experience....

If anyone can give me an answer on why my system will not recognize my lower multiplier I would love that...

zephead said:
n the opinion of myself and many others, asrock motherboards are generally low in quality and performance, so you might be getting erratic behavior no matter what. if you are serious obout O/Cing, i advise that you get a quality name brand mobo (asus, gigabyte, msi, for example) and use that, as it will give better results.
jarvis said:
If anyone can give me an answer on why my system will not recognize my lower multiplier I would love that...
mabye i should have came right out and said that your asrock board is probably suffering from a glitch.

have you considered acquiring ram that can handle overclocking?

My RAM is currently running with at a 1:1 ratio with the CPU. I lowered my FSB to 225 so the RAM is running at 450mhz. I don't think it would be worth it to buy new RAM..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back