Asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA Pcie x8 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab2140

Hello all, I was usinf cpu z earlier and i noticed that it says pcie link width x8 max supported 16x i wonders why 8800 gtx was under performing in crysis and other games can someone please tell me how to fix this issue . itried upping pcie frequency and no joy i have not overclocked my cpu and do not know why this has happened :(

If you're trying to run Crysis maxed out, then don't bother. Nothing out there runs Crysis maxed out. What about a game like BF2? It should be very smooth at 1280x1024 or above with all the settings maxed out.

Yes it does run all very well but it would do better of the pcie was 16x but it is only 8 . what is the problem? the bord supports pcie 16

Your board supports only PCI-E x8 from what I've heard on the net. In any case, I doubt it would make much difference in performance. You'd lose a max of say 6-8 FPS over a full x16 slot. You're going to get over 60 in most games so I don't think you'll notice it. ;)
Most SLI chipsets (except for the 680i SLI, nForce 4 SLI and the 590i SLI) have two x8 slots for SLI, and there has been no noted difference in performance compared to the x16 SLI ones.

I read the manuel that came with my bord it is a x16 lane and i read somwhere you need specific memory timmings and clock setting to open the lane to 16 and i adjusted my pcie freqency and in css source it went for 134 to 153 fps so i dunno what is happening damn bord :( why aint it just simple

Why are you even bothering about it? 60+ FPS is smooth enough, since beyond that the human eye cannot distinguish any lag. I'm sure you won't notice a difference between 134 FPS and 153 FPS.

Yes but surely you will agree that this is not normal and that you should get the best of the hardware any idea how i can fix it :) ?

No it IS normal, that board has an AGP slot as well, and in order to get AGP and PCIe both on the same board some shortcuts had to be taken, therefore your PCIe is limited to 8x. It is a full size 16x slot, but it will never be able to do 16x.

Your only option is to get a 'better' board. And like Rage said, no cards are maxing out the 16x bandwidth at this point, barely beating 8x if they are at all, so you aren't going to see major improvements even if you could get it to 16x. Are you still running old DDR RAM rather than DDR2? Why are you using that crossover board.

I am running ddr 2 ram i never new it was agp that suck what a rip lol any way to disable agp to get 16? suppose not. i am very soon when i have the money buying a new board i bought this board a year or so ago. whilst realising the importance of the right hardware components i was the noob when it came to mobos but have leanred alot about them and now know that you need i good mobo to max your hardwares performance . Im looking to go intel extreme in a few months get the asus striker and im planning on water cooling my cpu and my 8800 gtx can you guys give the name of a good water cooling kit for the 8800 gtx and intel cpu ill guess ill need an 8800 gtx water block? thanks for the help all apreciate the comments ;)

You'll see at least another generation of the NVIDIA chips before they start maxing out the PCI-E x16 bandwidth, so it's not necessary to have a PCI-E x16-capable board. A good mobo is important, but more important is the chipset. The X38 chipset is the way to go right now IMO, as is the P35. NVIDIA's new chipsets are not that great so I wouldn't recommend them very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back