TechSpot

Asus launches Z87-Deluxe/Quad motherboard, first with Thunderbolt 2

By Scorpus
Aug 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It was only in June that Intel finalized Thunderbolt 2, the second generation of their data interconnet technology, with Intel promising it would enter production by the end of the year. In keeping with that promise, Asus has announced the...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,972   +729

They could've chucked in the ROG branding, dumped the yucky desert brown colour for red and charged even more but maybe they were already feeling guilty about the price they had in mind.
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,857   +889

Wow, $350. I could get a $150 mobo + a $200 GPU for that price. I guess you are just paying for TB2.
  4. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 266   +77

MB pricing is getting out of hand.. you have to wonder if these PC component makers are aware of the general global recession and perhaps the stupid decision to make $1000 graphics cards and $350 MB's is probably not a wise one. They should be working on way to lower the per unit cost by innovating; TB2 is joke, how many TB1 product were actually made ? USB , eSATA, TOS link.. common, loads of options out there to innovate with
  5. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 266   +77

I love the sabertooth colour scheme.. maybe because I lived in those colours for so long..

6. mctommy

mctommy TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 104   +13

While I agree for the most part, I think that there will always be a market for these... even if it's a niche market. There is a reason why Asus has mobos ranging from under $100 to over $350.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,825   +1,436

I like the colors as well. Actually on the motherboard, I don't care what the colors are. It is not as if I have a 100% transparent case to mount the motherboard in.
    EEatGDL likes this.
  8. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,674   +510

$350 is a rip-off. One can get a Z87 MB for under $150, and there probably will be PCI Express 3.0 adapters with Thunderbolt 2 available at around the same time as this board. There was one from Asus ThunderboltEX, for the previous version.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.