Asus P4P800-E Deluxe has audio issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently rebuilt my system, including a new mobo (Asus P4P800-E Deluxe). Everything seems to be going great except that I can't get any audio output. The Asus comes with audio software that detects my speakers. It knows they're there. I have run test after test, and it can sense them. It even tells me that they're in the right spot! Tried other speakers/headphones with the same result. The volume is turned up (all the way) and I've run several audio programs (as well as the bundled Asus audio test), but no sound...

I can't seem to find anything on the Asus site to deal with this. Anybody got any ideas?

Hello

Welcome to TechSpot

What ver of windows?
Chipset Intel 865PE Springdale.
If XP, have you gone to windows update?
It has fixed similar probs with onboard sound with via chipset
and AC97.
G'Luck

I am running XP, and I have done the updates. No joy there. I found a temporary fix by plugging a pair of headphones into the "secondary" audio plug, with the speakers plugged into the "main" jack at the same time. Great sound. I'm not sure why that works, but perhaps it's a clue to a permanent fix-it.

Btw, thanks for the welcome. =)

That is very bizzare

I'm sorry that you're stuck with a jury rigged fix.

Your board has
Realtek ALC850 8-channel CODEC
Audio Sensing Technology
support S/PDIF out interface

Check TechSpots driver section HERE
for a possible software fix but think you may have the latest ones already

Yes... Bizarre

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Possibly a bad solder connection inside the audio connector box which becomes "fixed" by the pressure of the adjacent connector being used by the headphones. But then again this AI audio codec is fairly new - maybe it's just confused! What did ASUS have to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back