ASUS P4SD-LA mobo Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I can't seem to find a solution to my previous problem (https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic82829.html) I think my only option left is to find a new motherboard. I heard that when switching motherboards that are not the same BIOS/Chipset you will have to reinstall XP which I don't think is an option for me because my XP was mounted as a cd-rom image on my hard drive and was pre-installed for me so I want to find a placement for my current mobo with the same BIos/CHipset. I'm new to these kind of stuff and do not really understand what Bios/Chipset are and was hoping you guys could assist me in check the specification of my old motherboard and the mobo I'm going to get to see if their the same. and if their not I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions :). Thanks a lot!

old mobo:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00022505#c00022505_doc

new mobo:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=337126

since the old computer was an HP and u are looking for a new MB I would suggest going and buy a new Windows XP disk or VISTA if that is what u want, and get a complete new board and do not worry about the old install. U will have less problems and be better off.

if u look on the net there are OEM versions of WindowsXP that are not that high to buy. just a suggestion, do a google search.

When you buy another XP CD, you're also spendin a lot of money on another COA key...

A way that would save you a lot of money on getting your XP back is to find another XP install CD itself without a COA key. You can use the CD to install windows and re-use the COA key on the back of the system you're replacing the motherboard in. What I did was download an ISO image for an XP Home Edi. SP2 CD and used Nero to burn it onto a CD. Truely, it's the COA key that is the main cost in a copy of windows, not the CD. Besides, to install a copy of windows using a true install CD, you have to tell it your COA key to get windows to install, So you're not illegally copying windows if you make your own true CD(that asks for a COA key). If you start using the same COA key on several systems at once, then it's illegal. I have done this several times to revive people's systems without having to use the junky CD that came with the system. This way you're installing a true copy of Windows, not an HP/Compaq/Emachines version that has all that junky software preinstalled, which can really slow down a computer, not to mention a lot of registry errors. Both the computer's restore CD and the true XP install CD use the same key to install. If the restore CD is a ghost image or an install CD, it has the key embedded into the OS. If the supplied CD installs windows like a normal CD, yet doesn't ask you for a key, the COA key found on the back of the system is already embedded into the CD. Let me know if I'm wrong anywhere.

if you get a different mobo you will not have to reinstall windows all you have to do is run a repair install you should not lose anything from your personal files but as we all know and love windows there is always a chance but i have done it many times and have not lost anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back