Asus P5K-VM m/b running too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My freshly built system, not even 2 days old.

Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz 1333fsb CPU
Asus P5K-VM montherboard
2x Twinmos 1gb PC2 6400 DDR2 memory with heatspreaders
EVGA Gefore 8800GT 512mb graphics card
Thermaltake 430w PSU
WD 320gb Sata Hard Drive
Pioneer Sata DVD Burner
Coolmaster Elite R31 Case

I had dramas with BSOD, run memtest and found one of my sticks of memory was faulty. So went to remove it, noticed it was extremely hot, same with my graphics card and the northbridge heatsink.

So installed Asus PC Probe. Within 5mins of the PC being running the motherboard temp rises past the CPU temp (38c) upto 50c +. and the alarm sound when gets over 45c.

Is my motherboard stuffed. Or is there a setting wrong in bios. Or maybe some hardware too powerful for m/b. PSU not strong enuff. Or is there a way to cool it down.

???

Are you 100% certain you mounted the heatsink and applied the thermal compound properly?

*Edit*

Err sorry, didn't see that it was your motherboard's temp..

You can try and get a chipset cooler, and possibly organize the wires in your case a bit better to allow better airflow. Also, try and have more chassis fans blowing out than in as this promotes a negative air pressure inside your case thus reducing stress on your components.

i have the wire all tied up out of the way so no clutter, also have front and back case fans, front pushing in, back pushing out.

Might want to invest in 1-3 more fans if your motherboard is running that hot (assuming your case can support them)...

*Edit*

I couldn't find a "Coolmaster Elite R31" anywhere. Is this your case? If it is, it looks like it might be either the source of your problem, if not, it's likely adding to it. If it is only a few days old you might want to see if you can send that back and look at something that will provide sufficent cooling for a high-end system. Your components are probably crammed on top of each other and it might not make much of a difference even if the case did support a few extra fans.

Though, you could try replacing your current fans with a couple of high CFM fans and see what happens. According to the manufacturer's site the case fans are designed with silence in mind which to me, would imply they are probably pretty low CFM.

Motherboard temps/ambient temps are usually higher, especially in a case where there isn't much room to let fresh air in, especially with the geforce 8800 (among others) you have in there. Think of a room and stick in a couple of heaters in it, close the door and only open the window half.. its gonna get hot fast... open the doors and windows and it will cool down better.. therefore open the side panel and see if that makes a difference in your temperature readings.

i would contradict zeno (may i call you that?) with the fan idea.. i think its more better to have the equal amounts of air flowing in and out rather than having more out than in.. reason behind my thinking is that you need cool air flowing in, then exhaust as much hot air as possible.. although thats just me.. you can try both methods if you want and see the results - just reverse polarity on the fans to change its orientation :)

if it is the 331 case or similar, then that has alright cooling, and i'd agree with the adding more fans/better fans bit esp with your config. If you want to change cases and its not too late yet, and really want to keep your temps nice and cool get this one.. antec 900

You can call me anything you care to :p.

Creating positive air pressure inside the chassis can cause temps to rise. It may vary from rig to rig considering all of the possible variables, however, I would say the majority of the time negative air pressure and taking heat out of the case beats positive air pressure and bringing room tempurature air into the case. Most people aren't in climate controlled situations. Room tempuratures are generally between 65-80F (18-26C). Toward the higher end there the room temperature isn't much lower than what the average motherboard is running at.

Now, if you're situated next to an air conditioner or your room is just abnormally chilly, go for it, suck the air on in...

Naturally opinions and situations will vary... to each his own!

Regardless, airflow in or out, you should either:

A) Invest in more/better fans
B) Upgrade your chassis

Yes thats my case 331, i've done some further testing, i tried a bigger supply 550w, as no affect at all. Have notice the heat on the motherboard is pin pointed around the northbridge heatsink, and anything around that gets hot, reason for memory and graphics card being so hot. rest of m/b and cpu are cool. I dont think its a cooling issue myself, but i am gonna try better fans. The Northbridge chipset is Intel MCH G33, which i have done some research, and other ppl with this chipset on thier board also got extremely hot temps.

Zenosincks said:
Might want to invest in 1-3 more fans if your motherboard is running that hot (assuming your case can support them)...

*Edit*

I couldn't find a "Coolmaster Elite R31" anywhere. Is this your case? If it is, it looks like it might be either the source of your problem, if not, it's likely adding to it. If it is only a few days old you might want to see if you can send that back and look at something that will provide sufficent cooling for a high-end system. Your components are probably crammed on top of each other and it might not make much of a difference even if the case did support a few extra fans.

Though, you could try replacing your current fans with a couple of high CFM fans and see what happens. According to the manufacturer's site the case fans are designed with silence in mind which to me, would imply they are probably pretty low CFM.

Those fans would be nice, But i live in Australia, the cheapest and most popular store where i live is www.umart.com.au.

Should i get a better chipset heatsink cooler?

I would attempt adding fans to the chassis and/or replacing the chassis before replacing the chipset heatsink.

Here is a pair of 120mm x 25mm fans rated for 106 CFM on ebay.com.au.

where in aus? i'm guessing nsw since you mention umart?

look up also:
mwave.com.au
arc.com.au
msy.com.au
pccasegear.com.au etc..
staticice.com.au <--- great site for finding the cheapest stuff if you know the model/make you want..

pc markets are your best friends for cheap stuff, usually on a sat or sunday depend on locations..

I live on the gold coast, umart has a store here 5min from where i live, i buy all my parts from there, cheapest on the gold coast, warranty another issue thou. But i have a friend who can get me thermaltake stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back