Asus RTX 4090 BTF embraces a cable-free future, eliminates 16-pin power connector

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Asus is pushing its Back-to-the-Future (BTF) concept at CES with the introduction of new graphics cards that do away with auxiliary power connectors. Asus' BTF initiative is designed specifically for DIY enthusiasts seeking the cleanest possible PC build. Components in the line including motherboards, graphics cards, and cases are all designed to hide unsightly connectors and cables.

For example, on BTF motherboards, all of the connectors are mounted on the back of the board – out of sight, out of mind. A case designed specifically for this type of build is best so you don't have to cut out the motherboard tray and worry about cable clearance, and now Asus has a couple of new GPU options to top it off.

The ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 BTF Edition and the TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super BTF White Edition forego the 16-pin external power connector for a new high-power connector that plugs directly into compatible motherboards.

Proprietary connectors are far from ideal, but I like Asus' thinking here. I don't think anyone would be too torn up about removing 12VHPWR from the equation at this point considering all the headaches it has introduced as of late, and having fewer cables to contend with will no doubt improve airflow and lead to a cleaner looking install. It sort of makes you wonder why this hasn't been done sooner – why not just feed the GPU everything it needs from the motherboard directly? It's a more physically secure connection, it could help reduce card sag, and looks cleaner overall.

Of course, none of this will matter all that much if aesthetics aren't important to you or Asus' proprietary system never gets off the ground. The only way this is going to have a meaningful impact on the community is if multiple manufacturers can agree on a universal standard that everyone can adopt. Everyone doing their own system isn't going to work, either. Everyone needs to be on the same page.

Permalink to story.

So that was their endgame, they made the new connector so bad that after they cut margins on their chips, board partners could make more money by selling proprietary motherboards. Can't wait to see what the secondary market for these cards will look like.

I’d like to see how this is implemented on mini ITX boards… assuming it doesn’t spontaneously combust like 12VHPWR does.

The 12VHPWR is still there... just on the motherboard instead... and at the back of it to add to the insult.

Now you don't even have a PC case compatible with this motherboard beside something made by Asus.

fwebp

A case built around this would be much easier to wire, one could use it to bring back BTX style or riser style designs, to cope with the power output of modern hardware.

ATX was never meant to handle 200W CPUs and 600W GPUs. BTX would work much better.

I'm all for it. They should move the rear IO down, too, so you can put a 140mm fan in the back of a normal sized case.

not having to cable the top of the motherboard is awesome. It will make cable management much easier and I can use shorter cables, too.

You know, they almost had me sold on an entire Asus ecosystem, but then there's one blaring flaw to all this they should have though of, rear mount the AIO too. How much work could it be after designing everything else to be Asus compatibility exclusive, make the AIO pump/block's hoses pass through the motherboard so they're also hidden, then side feed the top radiator, now, that would actually be a fully revolutionary design with no cables, no hoses, just components seamlessly coexisting together.

I'm all for it. They should move the rear IO down, too, so you can put a 140mm fan in the back of a normal sized case.

You know, I never thought of it that way, all the cases I've bought in the last... too many years, have had a rear 140mm fan, this has been my normal, but I guess it does force the case to be wider by just a little. I don't see how moving the IO down would make much of a difference, it's already long enough to accommodate a 140mm fan, going back to my early days, cases use to have dual 80mm rear exhaust fans... Actually come to think of it, I went from that arrangement straight to 140mm rear exhaust.

Granted, almost nothing is "normal" about any of these Asus products being shown here.

It's about time. Especially wires sticking to the graphics card from the front.

ASUS might have just started a closed eco-system, though, with more companies to follow suit. Tying up own motherboard to own graphics card may well be following Apple's modus operandi soon.

Back