Asus' single tile 4K monitor ships next month priced at $649

Shawn Knight

Staff member

asus 4k monitor pb287q

Earlier this year, Asus took the wraps off of a 28-inch 4K monitor, model PB287Q. The display was slated to ship sometime in the second quarter at a respectable price of $799 but plans have since changed – and in a good way.

The company has pinned a launch date on the display – May 12 – but more importantly, they’ve dropped the price to just $649. That’s one heck of a price for an Ultra HD display and there’s even more to get excited about once you take a look at the specifications list.

The monitor boasts a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (157 pixels per inch) at 60Hz, doing so using DisplayPort’s Single-Stream Transport (SST) mode. As The Tech Report correctly points out, most 4K monitors are built using a dual-tile design that combines two video signals using DisplayPort’s Multi-Stream Transport capabilities. The PB287Q is able to do so as a single tile which means you won’t run into compatibility issues often associated with dual-tile displays.

asus 4k monitor pb287q

The specifications sheet also highlights the fact that the monitor is based on an 8-bit TN panel although dithering is used to push it into 10-bit territory. It’s capable of displaying 1.07 billion colors and can deliver outstanding color reproduction and saturation thanks to its 330cd/m² brightness and a 100,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR).

Screen aside, the unit comes with a stand that offers height, swivel and tilt adjustments and it can even be used in portrait orientation should you choose. A VESA-compatible mount is built into the backside for easy wall mounting.

If you’re in the market for a budget 4K display, the PB287Q should certainly be on your list of candidates.

Permalink to story.

Most definitely interested, have been watching the prices of 27" monitors lately. Will also definitely wait for reviews. If this pans out o.k, it will be awesome.

28"..meh. Needs to be at least 30" if not 32".

I agree don't think 28 inch monitor is bigger enough. Granted you do sit closer to this than a tv but something in the 32-36 would be awesome at 4k. The only problem is the price would go up for a larger display. Asus will be releasing a higher end non TN panel version of this in the future maybe that one will be bigger.

Total bollox comments. The net is loaded with comprehensive reviews of this monitor, has been for a while now. Anyone who was interested would have found out.

Example:

Realistically, how long until we see 120Hz UHD 4K monitors?

how about 25 sd panels @5Hz stitched together and 'dithered' to 120Hz.... im sure they can get away with that con for for a while if they try.

just like the LED con and HDready etc etc

A system that can do 4K @ 120Hz... I would love to see that but not so sure whether I'd love to see the price tag

I may go ahead and jump onto one of these for 649. The price is not horrible and I have been wanting to try out 4K for quite some time. Even though its a TN panel, I could live with it as a desktop monitor.

Total bollox comments. The net is loaded with comprehensive reviews of this monitor, has been for a while now. Anyone who was interested would have found out.

Example:
I was in a brick & mortar computer shop last week where a sales chick demoed it for me and it looked pretty sweet (so did the screen) but I'll hold off on 4K until the early adopters and 'must have' folks have done a solid job then I'll step in and scoop one up at half the price. 1080p is still more than good enough for me.

Last edited:

Example:
Yeah the Samsung seems like a great competitor to this monitor.

Yeah the Samsung seems like a great competitor to this monitor.
Yea, I may actually get the Asus because I don't mind TN panels and the price is not to bad considering it is a 28 Inch. Its a little big, but right now im on 3 27inch 1080p displays and it would be nice to have 1 gaming 4k monitor and some secondary monitor.

Yea, I may actually get the Asus because I don't mind TN panels and the price is not to bad considering it is a 28 Inch. Its a little big, but right now im on 3 27inch 1080p displays and it would be nice to have 1 gaming 4k monitor and some secondary monitor.
You are running dual 290Xs right?

Yes hoping to see some IPS or PLS panel response time improvements... 4k 120Hz IPS/PLS sounds a little while off yet still.

I just picked up a Seiki 39" 4k monitor from TigerD for $530, forced myself to shell out another $100 for a 4 year warranty. Can't be too careful these days.

Overall I'd rate it a good 8/10.

The good: Looks friggin awesome. Even old games such as Rune (Unreal engine) game looks significantly better which I never thought possible without higher res textures. Also, lots of desktop space, remote. Sleep feature. 4k. You can set custom resolutions such as 2560x1440@60hz or 1920x1080@120hz. Free HDMI 1.4 Cable.

The bad. 30hz, you can probably get used to it but it is noticable. In games your stick with Vsync@30fps or screen tearing at higher framerates, not to mention ghosting. There are approx 6-7 dead/stuck pixels. You can't see 2 of them unless you really get up close, 2 more are stuck together which makes them more visable but barely. The worst spot is in the upper right corner where there is at least 2 if not 3 stick together, but even that is only slightly more noticeable thanks to the high dpi of the monitor.

Back