TechSpot

Asus' single tile 4K monitor ships next month priced at $649

By Shawn Knight
Apr 30, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier this year, Asus took the wraps off of a 28-inch 4K monitor, model PB287Q. The display was slated to ship sometime in the second quarter at a respectable price of $799 but plans have since changed - and in...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +598

I'm interested, but will wait on the reviews first.

3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

Realistically, how long until we see 120Hz UHD 4K monitors?

4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

Ohhh baby I have enough cash for 6 of those bad boys for my 6 monitor setup I am wanting!

5. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

Most definitely interested, have been watching the prices of 27" monitors lately. Will also definitely wait for reviews. If this pans out o.k, it will be awesome.

6. Eddo22

Eddo22 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161   +6

28"..meh. Needs to be at least 30" if not 32".

7. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,103   +346

I agree don't think 28 inch monitor is bigger enough. Granted you do sit closer to this than a tv but something in the 32-36 would be awesome at 4k. The only problem is the price would go up for a larger display. Asus will be releasing a higher end non TN panel version of this in the future maybe that one will be bigger.

8. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

Total bollox comments. The net is loaded with comprehensive reviews of this monitor, has been for a while now. Anyone who was interested would have found out.

Example:

9. Runt1me

Runt1me TS Rookie Posts: 30

how about 25 sd panels @5Hz stitched together and 'dithered' to 120Hz.... im sure they can get away with that con for for a while if they try.

just like the LED con and HDready etc etc

10. DKRON

DKRON TS Guru Posts: 568   +25

Prob as far away as graphics cards that can run a game at 120FPS, would be pointless at the moment because no amount of cards would be able to keep up at 120Hz

Darth Shiv likes this.
  11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,624   +377

A system that can do 4K @ 120Hz... I would love to see that but not so sure whether I'd love to see the price tag

12. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

I may go ahead and jump onto one of these for 649. The price is not horrible and I have been wanting to try out 4K for quite some time. Even though its a TN panel, I could live with it as a desktop monitor.

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,507   +2,055

I was in a brick & mortar computer shop last week where a sales chick demoed it for me and it looked pretty sweet (so did the screen) but I'll hold off on 4K until the early adopters and 'must have' folks have done a solid job then I'll step in and scoop one up at half the price. 1080p is still more than good enough for me.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  14. slamscaper

slamscaper TS Booster Posts: 161   +26

Too bad it's TN though...

15. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah the Samsung seems like a great competitor to this monitor.

16. GhostRyder

Yea, I may actually get the Asus because I don't mind TN panels and the price is not to bad considering it is a 28 Inch. Its a little big, but right now im on 3 27inch 1080p displays and it would be nice to have 1 gaming 4k monitor and some secondary monitor.

17. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

You are running dual 290Xs right?

18. GhostRyder

Hell no, what do you think I am some kind of WIMP.

I'm running 3 thank you very much :p

Jad Chaar likes this.
  19. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,624   +377

Yes hoping to see some IPS or PLS panel response time improvements... 4k 120Hz IPS/PLS sounds a little while off yet still.

20. Eddo22

Eddo22 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161   +6

I just picked up a Seiki 39" 4k monitor from TigerD for $530, forced myself to shell out another $100 for a 4 year warranty. Can't be too careful these days.

Overall I'd rate it a good 8/10.

The good: Looks friggin awesome. Even old games such as Rune (Unreal engine) game looks significantly better which I never thought possible without higher res textures. Also, lots of desktop space, remote. Sleep feature. 4k. You can set custom resolutions such as 2560x1440@60hz or 1920x1080@120hz. Free HDMI 1.4 Cable.

The bad. 30hz, you can probably get used to it but it is noticable. In games your stick with Vsync@30fps or screen tearing at higher framerates, not to mention ghosting. There are approx 6-7 dead/stuck pixels. You can't see 2 of them unless you really get up close, 2 more are stuck together which makes them more visable but barely. The worst spot is in the upper right corner where there is at least 2 if not 3 stick together, but even that is only slightly more noticeable thanks to the high dpi of the monitor.