Asus will slash its GPU prices by up to 25 percent starting in April

nanoguy

Staff member
Bottom line: If you've been dazzled by the recent drop in GPU prices, now is not the best time to buy one. Between the increased availability, reduced profitability of GPU mining, and the recently renewed tariff exemptions on some electronics imported from China, it looks like GPU prices have yet to reach a floor.

GPU prices have been trending down for the past several months, with some regions seeing the lowest prices since the start of 2021, and some lower-end models selling below MSRP. The situation on eBay has also improved, with the average selling price of GPUs dropping by 10 percent between February and March.

That said, these developments are hardly cause for celebration for most gamers, who need to pay, at best, $300 more for a new RTX 3000 series graphics card compared to what they paid for their old card. With availability slowly improving over time, vendors like Asus and Zotac have been calling on the US Trade Representative's (USTR) office to drop Trump-era tariffs on some products that are imported from China, namely PC motherboards and graphics cards.

An official answer to those requests came last week, with the USRT office reinstating hundreds of expired product exclusions from "Section 301" tariffs on Chinese imports. At the time of the announcement, it wasn't clear if that would translate into better retail prices. This week, Asus told Tom's Hardware that it has decided to lower the price of its GPUs in the US by up to 25 percent, starting from April 1.

It's worth noting the price change will only apply to Ampere GPUs, specifically the "entry level GeForce RTX 3050 and RTX 3060, mid-range RTX 3070 and high performance RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 graphics cards."

This marks a significant reversal as Asus last year was among the first to raise prices in response to tariffs and unprecedented demand from gamers and miners. At the same time, Asus along with Gigabyte, Asrock, and EVGA have been running a series of promotions on select GPUs this month, so there's a good chance most vendors will soon follow Asus in lowering prices.

In the meantime, Nvidia has reportedly managed to reduce its manufacturing costs by anywhere between eight and 12 percent. And according to Igor's Lab, Ada Lovelace GPUs will be pin compatible with Ampere GPUs, which means AIB partners won't need to spend as much on research and development on RTX 4000 series cards, which will co-exist with RTX 3000 series cards for a while after launch.

The latest Ethereum Merge testing on Kiln was mostly successful, so the future of GPU mining looks increasingly bleak. With a bit of luck, we may soon see a flood of GPUs on the second-hand market.

Permalink to story.

I don't know how or why, but it's started already.

First, Chinese cards such as MANLI have seen large discounts and now we are seeing ASUS RTX 3060's and other 60 cards such as PALIT and Zotac following suit.

We are talking about an almost 200 EUR discount in the space of 1 week and I am in the EU and not affected by US tarriffs and stuff.

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/55/kartes-...ml?o=3060+rtx&order_by=pricevat&order_dir=asc

Prices are one thing.
Availability is a whole nother' thing.
Exactly. As prices drop, demand will surge. And, when the new cards come out the current cards will get discounted or they will be easier to get, driving more demand. So, while this is good news, don't expect it to happen overnight. Not to mention inflation which is keeping a lot of prices artificially high, right now.

Until we see the end results, this is nothing but a lie.
Look at the bright side the $1999 pricing for the 3090ti will put pressure on anything close to that price or above it with inferior performance will cause prices to plummet. On the midrange side we will have Intel's arm putting pressure for anything in between and finally gamers will win!

Keep the tariffs on China. Remember you ignored the Olympics cause of your dislike for the regime but as long as it's something YOU want then it's OK

Keep the tariffs on China. Remember you ignored the Olympics cause of your dislike for the regime but as long as it's something YOU want then it's OK
US Consumers have been, and always will, pay these tariffs. The tariffs never hurt China in the way that 45 implied they would.

US Consumers have been, and always will, pay these tariffs. The tariffs never hurt China in the way that 45 implied they would.
It must have been hurting them somehow, 46 doesnt care about the common people, only the billionaires holding his strings and the useful idi0ts that get him elected.

It's a start. It's the creeping in that must be maintained at all costs. You couldn't be more wrong. A little at a time is how to get it done. We are all tired of Made in China and want more Made in USA. It makes me feel good to know the guy next door has a job

So will card manufacturers start making them available to gamers again because miners aren't buying them that will be the only reason. Bought my 2080ti December 2019 and it is serving me well my thought was why couldn't Nvidia and AMD at the time make enough card for all instead of just selling out to miners and scalpers before the virus decimated everything.

Prices are one thing.
Availability is a whole nother' thing.

Nvidia cards are readily available in Australia, but prices are now far higher than AMD's in a reversal of the last 12 months.

Still I'm not interested, given the massive performance increases coming with Lovelace and RDNA3 I'm holding off updating my 1080 Ti and 2080 Super. A 4070 will destroy a 3080 in rasterisation and RT and 4060 is said to match 3090 in RT.

It's a start. It's the creeping in that must be maintained at all costs. You couldn't be more wrong. A little at a time is how to get it done. We are all tired of Made in China and want more Made in USA. It makes me feel good to know the guy next door has a job
No, we must race to the bottom so international monied folk can line their pockets.

Apple and others are 'pivoting' toward Vietnam. There is always a cheaper labor force and ecosystem to exploit. I don't know if this was pioneered by Nike and other shoe companies but it's certainly standard practice in a lot of areas of the economy. I suppose the real origin is old-fashioned imperialism propped up by navies.

Wikileaks, for instance, exposed that Hillary Clinton's office pressured the president of Haiti (when she was state secretary) to exempt 'American' garment firms such as Levi-Strauss and Hanes from a paltry increase to the minimum wage. Long before that, plenty of terrible tales about factories making young women work until they dropped and then closing the doors and not paying them came from various parts of Asia (suppliers to companies such as Nike). I have also read about sweatshop silk, which comes from a different part of Asia. Assange gets his due for doing independent journalism by being given a magnificent glass cage.

Wave the American flags made in China with dye from India.

No, we must race to the bottom so international monied folk can line their pockets.

Apple and others are 'pivoting' toward Vietnam. There is always a cheaper labor force and ecosystem to exploit. I don't know if this was pioneered by Nike and other shoe companies but it's certainly standard practice in a lot of areas of the economy. I suppose the real origin is old-fashioned imperialism propped up by navies.

Wikileaks, for instance, exposed that Hillary Clinton's office pressured the president of Haiti (when she was state secretary) to exempt 'American' garment firms such as Levi-Strauss and Hanes from a paltry increase to the minimum wage. Long before that, plenty of terrible tales about factories making young women work until they dropped and then closing the doors and not paying them came from various parts of Asia (suppliers to companies such as Nike). I have also read about sweatshop silk, which comes from a different part of Asia. Assange gets his due for doing independent journalism by being given a magnificent glass cage.

Wave the American flags made in China with dye from India.
OH Brother

Happening already in Australia... $200-300 reduction in prices on 3080, 3070, and RX cards on prices just a couple of months ago. Surely more to come. Finally!!

The reason they don't "hurt" is because we don't have a non-Chinese alternative. Back in the 80s, the US put a tariff on Japanese motorcycles over 750cc. This gave Harley a chance to come back and they did. Tariffs can work, but not if you can't get the product elsewhere.

Back