TechSpot

AT&T now bundling basic cable, broadband service, HBO Go and Amazon Prime for $39 per month

By Shawn Knight
Sep 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AT&T has come up with a unique offering that seems to be designed specifically for cord-cutters. For $40 per month, the company is offering customers its U-verse Internet Max Plus (18Mbps) broadband service, basic cable service, a one year subscription to Amazon...

Read more

2. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Do they send a bill that's due next month less than a week after activating service?

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,559   +598

So exactly what does "basic cable service" mean? What do you get with that? We all know sporting events are what drives a significant portion of sales. If consumers could get ESPN, the NFL channel, etc., without jumping on board with a carrier like Comcast, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

4. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

If they're like most companies that provide a monthly service then yes, especially if you're in the middle of a billing cycle. Prorating your service prevents you from being billed in arrears when you start your service.

NTAPRO likes this.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,513   +2,057

I heard you receive the bill via SMS stating you're 30 days overdue while you're still signing the contract, once you've signed it payment is due immediately. If it was me, I'd just fax them a check.

NTAPRO likes this.
  6. chip igmo

chip igmo TS Member Posts: 51

Wow, 39$/month, 18Mbps internet, plus basic cable + amazon prime + hbo go = wow again.

here's my current monthly bills:
    1Mbps internet, wimax, ~795php
    dream satellite cable, ~395php (~25 local and foreign channels)
    (I have no idea what hbo go and amazon prime services are.)

a 3Mbps internet service plus unlimited same network landline local calls costs about 2000php from my favorite ISP. HD cable channels are a premium (>1000php/month plus installation fee, equipment fee) and offered only in major cities and selected towns.

7. Good deal if you can get it. ATT is dsl speed in my area

8. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

Just watch your bill once you hit the 12 month mark or OMG will the price skyrocket.

9. elemental

elemental TS Member

Having dealt with at&t since it became at&t you can guarantee there's a catch and you're going to get screwed.

wiyosaya, cmbjive and EClyde like this.
  10. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,043   +274

So this sounds like yet another BS offer by the marketing department of some major subscription TV provider trying to maintain their addiction to the wallets of their customers. Those who fall for this will likely be the less technically inclined, and when they find out just what a load has been dumped on them, I hope that they all complain to the FTC.

11. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,043   +274

Unfortunately for you, it sounds like your provider is a tick that will never get engorged with enough of your money to fall off.