Athlon II X4 running at 0 C'?

Steelhedgehog

Hello, folks. Recently I have bought a shiny new Athlon II x4 635 (Stock heatsink and fan) and a Biostar A785G3 motherboard. It's using 2 sticks of 2gig G-Skill ram. My computer sits on my desk with an open side and a small box fan set up against it blowing out (my ventilation and cooling solution).

When I first booted up the system, my temps were normal. The Cool And Quiet under clocked my processor down to 783mhz and it was running at ~29 C. Running Prime 95, it climbed to ~60 C. The sensors seemed alright then.

After reading somewhere that Advanced Clock Calibration allowed better stability at lower voltages using the negative values, I thought I'd try it out and see if I could get my temps lower and keep my stability. I lowered the vcore down from 1.375 the motherboard had it set at to 1.34, set the ACC to -4% and ran Prime95 for an hour- no errors. And the temp reading I got from CPUID HWmonitor kept going DOWN, not UP. I thought this was VERY WEIRD. Eventually, it hit 0 C. Wait, my ambient room temp 21 C. How the hell?

So... I thought- why not add a little overclock and see what happens. I pushed the FSB up to 207 (from 200, multiplier is 14.5) to make the processor run at a flat 3Ghz. Maybe I'd see a little increase in heat, maybe something realistic. Nope. Still 0 C.

So, now I'm in the 9th hour of running Prime95 with the same slight overclock and lowered voltages and still, no errors, no heat increase. Has anyone else seen something like this? It's freaking me out- nothing is this this good, is it?

But I have one other concern- CPUID HWmonitor is showing me a temp in my computer is high. The "ACPI" and TMPIN0" are both at 55 C. I'm guessing that's the north bridge of my Motherboard? I have the Radeon HD4200 IGP overclocked to 600mhz, I'm guessing that's the cause. What's a safe temp range for my North Bridge?

It sounds like you have a bad temp sensor, or HW monitor is not reading your sensor correctly if at all. I have a Phenom II x6 1055T that shows TMPIN0 @ 128c...obviously incorrect or the machine would have shut down long ago. Check your BIOS for correct temp readings and try a different monitoring program. and yes the c reading is most likely your NB temp as TMPINO is normally the NB sensor. %%c is an okay reading for the NB, get concerned when it gets over 65c- 70C and invest in an aftermarket NB cooler. If I missed something in your post let me know. :)

*** a good rule of thumb is that if you are going to OC, invest $30 and get an after market heatsink.

dont worry so much about the temps, I have a x4 630 running at 3.4ghz on stock cooler. the trouble is to test that its stable we look at the temps when the cpu is at full load. but even in games like gta 4 the processor wont flow over 80% or so.

My temps at full load are 74C ( 7C over limit)
at 80% they are 53ish making it fully playable
oh and cryisis is about 90%

now I dont encorage this sort of thing and I only do it becuase i have no money for a good cooler. but Its just something interesting to think about.

what do you think red?

It tested great for ten hours on Prime95, but I decided to stop it. I thought about it: It was giving me normal temps before I attempted the undervoltage, right? So maybe it has to do with some setting. I tried disabling the ACC while keeping the undervoltage and slight overclock- and BOOM! Temps! Normal ones! It's hitting between 56 C and 57 C, 100% load. I think the ACC on this motherboard disables the CPU temp sensors or something.

What's the lowest voltage anyone around here has gotten a Athlon II X4 to while getting it to run stable? Prime95 shows no errors after 10 minutes, I think I'll lower the voltage another step.

yes i think so, the sensor or the software have been known to be off, but why risk it? wait for a sale on a $15-20 dollar heatsink and give yourself a little piece of mind.

Not sure about yours, but the Phenom processors have a max temp allowance of 62C, so you are getting close.

The Athlon II X4 has a max temp of 71C, so I think it's fine. Also, speaking of temps, I've lowered the voltage even more. I'm still running the FSB at 207mhz (at 14.5x for 3001mhz) and the voltage is at 1.3 volts. Prime95 has been running 8 hours (so far, still going as I type) on this new setting and the HIGHEST the processor has gotten in 55C. The lowest within the testing time was 51C and the average is 53C. So far everything is stable and runs great. We'll know if it's in perfect running order in 16 more hours of testing, since I've read that you should run Prime95 for 24 hours. Till then, folks! I'll report back!

your athlon is much more flexible than mine. If I tried to run mine at 3.1ghz it would demand an extra 0.5v

I would go back to strict stock settings at time of install... then reboot, and start over. What you are experiencing is not what one would expect, even for a stock cooler.

Ladies and Gents, after 25 hours and 18 minutes, Prime95 has had no errors, my temps were at 56C at the HIGHEST and 49C lowest at 100% load. The average was 53C. My very slight overclock with undervoltage is a success! And I now know that ACC turns off CPU temp sensors. I think I'm very happy. I had no idea Athlon II x4s could run at these low voltages and temps with stock cooling (though I have to consider there is a box fan stuck to the side of my case). AMD, you guys rock. Thank you folks for your opinions and help. Whoo!

Just for consolation about your heat sensor SHH, my CPU temp sensor is stuck at 26C for months now, and I haven't given a damn about it, but then again, I don't overclock at all. So as long as your casing has good airflow (i.e. intake and outflow) you should be pretty much fine even with the stock cooler.

I have one of those Arc, I don't think CPUID CPU-Z is programmed for Phenom II x6 yet....or my Northbridge is running @ 128C

Back