Athlon XP 2100+ out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

Old Uncle Tom does it again by giving us an article about the newest AMD offering. It seems like AMD has the upper hand again, as the 2100 outclasses the P4 2200! Also, the 2200+ is set to release in the next couple of weeks so look out Intel here comes AMD, AGAIN!!! The 2200+ is said to be the last Palomino core before the new Thouroughbreds come out later this year.

Here is the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020313/index.html

Feel free to post comments!!! :)

Re: Read that but didn't think it was that exciting ;)

So who is right? Toms or Anand? :confused: [/B]

Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't catch that at all. I can't seem to find any mention on whether the 2100+ is the last of the Pallys in all of the articles that I've posted. All they have are just benchmarks after benchmarks. Will try to dig further...

I believe their both right on certain terms. The new 2100+ does outperform the 2200 P4 like Tom's article suggests, but the 2100+ isn't really a big improvement over older Athlon XP's like AnandTech suggests. I really don't see the reasoning in buying a 2100+ either if the newer cores are coming out at the end of this month.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
I believe their both right on certain terms. The new 2100+ does outperform the 2200 P4 like Tom's article suggests, but the 2100+ isn't really a big improvement over older Athlon XP's like AnandTech suggests. I really don't see the reasoning in buying a 2100+ either if the newer cores are coming out at the end of this month.

Perhaps AMD wants to make a nice exit from the scene while stealing Intel's crown b4 introducing the new Thoroughbreds.

Hopefully they're worth waiting for :D

Originally posted by lokem
Here's something related to the Thoroughbred that I can find. It's AMD's press release stating that they're making a transition to the 0.13 process:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~15674,00.html

I liked this bit from the press release

Our closest competitor’s most recently announced processor on .13 micron technology is nearly 83 percent larger than AMD’s .13 process solution,” Siegle said. “Moving to .13 micron technology will enable us to produce higher-performing products while lowering costs, putting us in an even stronger competitive position.

Closest competitor.... Hmmm who could that be ;)

The nice thing about this is that it should make the Paliminos that much more affordable. I guess I fall into that category where I don't "need" the fastest and the newest" to be happy, but I do like newer technology. So I will pick up my Palimino after they go considerably down in price...thank you very much.

Originally posted by chaplndave
The nice thing about this is that it should make the Paliminos that much more affordable. I guess I fall into that category where I don't "need" the fastest and the newest" to be happy, but I do like newer technology. So I will pick up my Palimino after they go considerably down in price...thank you very much.

With the Thoroughbreds coming up very shortly, the Palaminos will lose their appeal quite quickly IMO.

Originally posted by lokem

With the Thoroughbreds coming up very shortly, the Palaminos will lose their appeal quite quickly IMO.

The Palaminos may lose their appeal to the "I have to have the best, fastest, meanest stuff out there" crowd, but to some of us the Palaminos will be "best buys."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back