Ati 9600xt - monitor goes into standby when drivers are installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
my monitor goes into standby as soon as windows installs the drivers, and it doesn't come back, I've reinstalled windows as I thought it might be my old nvidia drivers causing the problem - same problem.

I tried the drivers that come with windows, the newest ati drivers and the ones that came with the card - same problem all round.

system:
windows XP sp2
athlon xp 1900+
512MB ram
asus a7m266

any ideas?

Your motherboard only supports up to 4x AGP cards and you are trying to pop in an 8x AGP card, but the card should be backwards compatible so I doubt that is your problem.

Just to make sure we understand. You can actually boot up your computer, and the video card is sending a signal to your monitor before you install the drivers?

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

Does the previous nVidia card still work in this system?
I haven't been able to find info on this board as to it's agp speed.
I'm assuming it's 4x agp pro slot.
asus dis-owned this board but I see it's a good one anyway.
Could be a bad vid card. Do you have another system you
can test the ati on?

G'Luck

yes Don - that's exactly it.

when I pop in the card, boot up windows, add new hardware shows up in the systray, says it found the card, and then installs the default drivers for the 9600, the screen then goes black, and then the monitor goes into standby.

if I reboot, as soon as the xp logo goes away, the screen goes to standby.
oh, hold on. just did it again and noticed my HD stopped spinning this time.

I am going over my head a bit here, and maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can step in....

Could it be that your power supply doesn't have enough juice? How many watts is it rated at (and who is the maker)?

The part I am unsure of, is whether or not before the drivers are installed it could be giving it the juice of a lower rated card, then after you install the drivers it is upping the watts for a 9600xt card....

Just a thought.

DonNagual
I'm right there with you.
Being an 8x agp pro card, with or without
tv tuner is going to need a stable brand name 350w psu.

I'm having the exact same problem anyone have a solution to this.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. But I had the 9600xt 256mb and I can go up to 8xagp but now I got a 6800le thinking that would fix the problem and no workie. Please help.

9600xt problems

I too have had a time with the 9600xt. I finally found a fix that is pretty simple. Remove all ati drivers reboot and reinstall the drivers. Then open the windows task manager, select processes, and end the processes named ati2evxx.exe. On my computer there are two of them. These processes will start ever time you restart the computer. Of course, most people leave them on anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back