TechSpot

ATI Catalyst 4.9 beta download, Doom 3 optimized

By Julio Franco
Aug 4, 2004
  1. ATI has released an unsupported beta version of their upcoming Catalyst 4.9 drivers suite which will bring the first Doom III optimizations to the table. I'm hearing of some 5-8% performance boost in 9800 Pro level of cards and up to 15-20% in X800s.

In ATI own words, these drivers come unsupported and are not recommended for mission critical operations or where productivity of any kind is a concern.

2. isnt it version 4.9?

3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,565   +332

You're right, thanks for the tip. Fixed.

4. Heavy_lvletal_

Heavy_lvletal_ TS Rookie Posts: 34

Are these only for Doom 3? what if i use them and i dont play doom 3?

5. if you don't play doom 3 just wait until the official release. They aren't all that stable yet. I tried them already, they work fine for doom 3 and other games. What I did notice is that they don't have support for the TV functions of the All-in-wonder cards, I have one of those cards and it's not properly recognized, it only sees a "regular" 9800 pro, which is fine for now. I don't use the TV functions that much. I can't wait until the official release of the 4.9's.

6. What about radeon 9700 pro's?

7. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

The 4.9's work fine on my 9700 Pro. Can't say about anything other than Doom 3, though, that's all I've played since it came out.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.