ATI device driver missing

pete2444

I have windows xp and got a message to say no ATI graphic driver is installed or the ATI driver is not funchtioning properly. Please install the ati driver approproate for your ati hardware.

I downloaded the driver and installed them but I keep getting this message is there anything I can do to get rid of the message?

Are you sure all the drivers installed correctly??

• Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • If none, just tell me so

ATI device driver missing reply

Hello

Thanks for your help.

This is what the report showed

Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06E4&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1\4&13D46659&0&0020 The drivers for this device are not installed.

BUT! Previously I have downloaded the drivers and installed them or so I thought.

A quick way to get the right drivers is the program 'Drivereasy'. It's free, as of Sept 2010.
If you are trying to use the Catalyst driver from ATI, you may have a Graphic card that it does not cover. First, find out EXACTLY what card you have, if it was new in a box, the info on the box may not be exactly what you have. It happened to me! Use some software to analyse it, such as 'Belarc advisor'. Then uninstall the driver you have. Windows will try to install one so you can see what you are doing. Then go to the ATI site and get the correct one.
I have had many problems like this in the past, and it ALWAYS was a 'wrong driver' problem.

I have had many problems like this in the past, and it ALWAYS was a 'wrong driver' problem.

I agree with mike1959 as if the VGA controller keeps showing up in that report, you are very most likely not downloading/installing the right driver

Thanks for your help and advice how do I uninstall the current drivers?

I downloaded the driver easy and when I went to install it wasn't free. I am a bit confused right now.

Mysticman, If you need to uninstall a driver, easiest to go to Control Panel, Hardware and sound, Device Manager.
Right-click on the problem device then choose 'uninstall'.
The driver 'finder' program I have used many times is 'Drivereasy' where there is a paid for and a free (less features) version. The links are right down at the bottom of the site.
http://drivereasy.com/
This software will scan your pc and give a report of what is up to date, what needs updating and what is missing.
When I used it last time the free version was very slow to download the drivers ( that's to try and get you to buy it, and it may well be a good choice), then the paid-for version is so much faster as you would expect.
But I found the driver info given was correct, so that if you need a large file (graphics driver, say) you can get it from the 'makers' site, using the info given.
Also, I found that using the latest drivers for slightly older cards, can be a problem. I use an old 2008 ATI Radeon card, and the most reliable driver is from 2008 (!) Updating the driver for it won't help, so I have a backup on external drive that I know is correct. O/S here is Win 8 pro 32 bit, on Dell 5150.

Mysticman, If you need to uninstall a driver, easiest to go to Control Panel, Hardware and sound, Device Manager.
Right-click on the problem device then choose 'uninstall'.
The driver 'finder' program I have used many times is 'Drivereasy' where there is a paid for and a free (less features) version. The links are right down at the bottom of the site.
http://drivereasy.com/
This software will scan your pc and give a report of what is up to date, what needs updating and what is missing.
When I used it last time the free version was very slow to download the drivers ( that's to try and get you to buy it, and it may well be a good choice), then the paid-for version is so much faster as you would expect.
But I found the driver info given was correct, so that if you need a large file (graphics driver, say) you can get it from the 'makers' site, using the info given.
Also, I found that using the latest drivers for slightly older cards, can be a problem. I use an old 2008 ATI Radeon card, and the most reliable driver is from 2008 (!) Updating the driver for it won't help, so I have a backup on external drive that I know is correct. O/S here is Win 8 pro 32 bit, on Dell 5150.

Hey Mike, thank you so much for your prompt reply! Here's the deal: I was trying to Remove "Arcade Parlor" - a pop up ad that was annoying. Right under it was ATI hardware or something, and I inadvertently removed it too....I have updated every Driver I can with "DriverUpdate", and it is saying I need software for the Video Controller/vga compatible, and that it cannot install driver because I'm missing something. I've downloaded 5 or 6 things that I thought was the right one, but the "Stand by" button is still grey/inactive. I would be most grateful for your continued counsel!

Hi, In your 'Device manager' screen, do you have anything 'yellow flagged' now?
Can you say what your pc is and which WIndows version?
If you try the 'Drivereasy' free program, it would almost certainly show what is missing, and offer to install it for you.
( This program is not one that finds the problem, then asks you to buy it before fixing the issue, it really is free and works.)
There is a known issue with graphic drivers, where the existing one has to be removed first, which can leave Windows XP/Vista running with a low-ish res display.
If you have Win7 or 8 then it won't be so much of a problem as Windows will install a fairly hi-res display driver to get you going, and that might be good enough, depending on what you use your pc for. Won't be good enough for 'gaming' use though, if that is what's required.
I would completely remove the ATI Catalyst S/W using the program 'Revo' uninstaller, then install it again, you probably still have the ATI installer in your 'Downloads' folder.
If not you can download it again, obviously.
The Windows device manager won't install the ATI catalyst software, you will have to do that yourself.
Another option would be to use a Windows restore point if you created any, and take it back to when it did work well.

Hey Mystic Man...are you able to read my original post and the answers I got....if not I will cut and paste. Mike was the one that helped me...here is one answer I got ...
Are you sure all the drivers installed correctly??

• Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • If none, just tell me so

Hi, In your 'Device manager' screen, do you have anything 'yellow flagged' now?
Can you say what your pc is and which WIndows version?
If you try the 'Drivereasy' free program, it would almost certainly show what is missing, and offer to install it for you.
( This program is not one that finds the problem, then asks you to buy it before fixing the issue, it really is free and works.)
There is a known issue with graphic drivers, where the existing one has to be removed first, which can leave Windows XP/Vista running with a low-ish res display.
If you have Win7 or 8 then it won't be so much of a problem as Windows will install a fairly hi-res display driver to get you going, and that might be good enough, depending on what you use your pc for. Won't be good enough for 'gaming' use though, if that is what's required.
I would completely remove the ATI Catalyst S/W using the program 'Revo' uninstaller, then install it again, you probably still have the ATI installer in your 'Downloads' folder.
If not you can download it again, obviously.
The Windows device manager won't install the ATI catalyst software, you will have to do that yourself.
Another option would be to use a Windows restore point if you created any, and take it back to when it did work well.

Success! thanks Mike (and Pete) for being so kind and friendly. I have fixed the problem, and all is running smooth and looking good! many thanks, and many blessings to you both!

Back