Ati radeon 9200 upgrade from intel extreme graphics , pci , code 12 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

james89000

Hi my name is James

I am running a Dell dimension 2400 with 256mb ram, celeron processer 2.4 ghz and Intel extreme graphics, and 40 gb hdd and the rest.

I just brought a 256 mb PCI card made by powercolor, built with radeon 9200 technology. Not pci express just straight PCI

Followed the instructions, pluged card in, turned on computer,go into the device manager and i get a yellow
"!" mark with the code 12 error against my card.

Uninstalled onboard intel extreme graphics controller, its model thing is ...
Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller it has 64mb of video ddr ram
Um well as soon as i uninstalled it and rebooted, windows would automactically recongise it again and then yeah. it would become default.
So i disabled it and now its outta use. yay =)
I am currently running off the default windows vgasave graphics thing and i still have the error code 12 on my radeon.

I have installed catallyst, downloaded specific drivers from the powercolor site, installed those and i get either

TUL corporation, RADEON 9200 SERIES ver. 8.252.0.0 [5/3/2006]
or..

just the plain

RADEON 9200 SERIES ver. 8.252.0.0 [5/3/2006]

Well i am using the plain Radeon 9200 series driver ^
And have tried both with no luck.

I read somewhere that i should not use the microsoft drivers
so i steered clear.

Then i saw that I should try adjusting the agp apeture in the bios setup.
To have it under 64mb.
I dont even have a agp slot!! but it couldnt hurt.
Well i have tryed all of the options 32, 64, 128 and 256, but no luck.

I have also seen that if i try changing which pci slot it is in, it can help.
Well it is in 1 at the moment, and if i try and put it in either 2 or 3,when i press the power button, The computer light comes on and it is Orangey amber sort of.
It is normally green.
So i suppose it is not booting correctly =(

And i have seen that if In the bios you configure your computer to not use the onboard graphics, it will work then.
Well in my bios setup i get to primary display setup, and it was on auto.
The only options i could select were AUTO and ONBOARD

so no luck there

I have thought about flashing the bios and upgrading it, So i get more options or is it a matter of getting more ram, or a higher powered psu.

What does it mean by "Resources" in the code 12 error i receive ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will be real happy if i can get my new card working !!
Thanks to anyone who replys

James =)

Did u try to install the latest Catalyst drivers? The latest Catalyst drivers do not have support for the 9200 series of video cards. U will have to use Catalyst 6.5, which is the latest one for ur card. Here is the link.

Ah !!!
When i run the latest catalyst,
I get this message
"Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. please make sure you have the required hardware or software."

So that may be the problem =)

I have now finished downloading catalyst, and I am still getting the same message.
Hmm before i finished downloading it, i uninstalled all the ati drivers i had previously via control panel.
When i rebooted, it came up new hardware found, "scsi" controller.
I selected a driver that came with the installation cd from the list and nothing has happened there.

Ummm shouldnt it show up as PCI ?
i dont know

Well ive taken it into a computer technican
and he has said the card has had it.
Ive been sold a "lemon" haha

So I shall have to look at getting another card ;)

Does anybody recommend anything around 128-256 mb
that is Pci compatiable ??

Thanks
James

This is the one of the best video cards available for PCI. There's the X1300 PCI too but IMO, it's not worth paying $110 for that card. It is the best PCI card of all the ones here, but is way more pricier as well. Just for reference, here is a link.
Next best is this one. The 6200 is pricey but the only PCI card I've seen play BF2. Unless u wanna play that, get the FX5200 instead.

ok wow thanks for all of those !!
Gives me a good idea on things.
i think I might go for the 5200 though

Hmm well oh thanks for the reply lol

Seeya round

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back