ATI revenue jumps 40 percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Graphics chipmaker ATI Technologies on Friday reported higher profits and improved revenue, propelled by higher shipments of computer components, for the first quarter of fiscal 2004, which ended Nov. 30.

The company's revenue jumped to $469.7 million, up 23 percent from the last quarter of 2003 and 40 percent from $335.4 million in the same quarter a year ago.

Read more: CNet News.

I can tell you that ATI has done a great job of distributing their product among a lot of stores, and pre-built into PC's. I know because they are in almost all of our desktops, with an exceptoin here and there with an NVidia.
I think ATI only has room to grow, and it will be interesting to see how well they do in the future.

True Poert, but I think you gotta give a bit of credit to nVidia, if they hadn't failed to deliver on their offerings this year, I don't think ATi would have done quite as well. However that said, ATi has delivered what was expected of it lately(even more so for those who have loathed ATi in the past) they have done a good job not only with top performance, but they seem to be doing well with their drivers too. When you look at all those things, this news isn't much surprise and the trend is likely to continue.

It's amazing to see how far ATi has come in a year and a half. They really put the pressure on nVIDIA and still came out on top.

I expect this trend to continue if ATi begins releasing as great of products as they have in the previous months.

Remember the ATI "Rage" days? What terrible 3D cards. :)

But the Radeon family sure turned things around. The fall of 3Dfx really opened a nice window for them to climb in, too.

This isn't too obvious and what is Nvidias revenue? prolly went down. Radeon for ever!; even though I have a GF3 ti500 which will change in time when i upgrade.

Originally posted by Rick
Remember the ATI "Rage" days? What terrible 3D cards. :)

But the Radeon family sure turned things around. The fall of 3Dfx really opened a nice window for them to climb in, too.

I wouldn't say the Radeon series altogether, because the original Radeon and the Radeon 8500 both had problems with their drivers when they were each released.

The tide really started to turn when The Radeon 9700 Pro hit the market.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
I can tell you that ATI has done a great job of distributing their product among a lot of stores, and pre-built into PC's. I know because they are in almost all of our desktops, with an exceptoin here and there with an NVidia.
I think ATI only has room to grow, and it will be interesting to see how well they do in the future.

Not to mention ATi's inundation of certain sites' contests ;)

ATi's introduction of an alternative to nVIDIA after 3DFX's demise seemed to work out excellent for them. They both offer better performance and a cheaper price at that.

I don't think ATi isn't the underdog anymore :) But nVIDIA is having massive success in another field, the nForce chipsets.

ever since ATi released the 9700 pro, they have left almost every gamer in awe. all the eye candy up and still going at insane framerates. ATi's drivers are not that bad either. people that say that ATi driver support still sucks are generally very anal and bias. ATi's drivers are comparable with Nvidia now. Both companies still got problems with their drivers here and there on some people's setups however.

Originally posted by Vehementi
But nVIDIA is having massive success in another field, the nForce chipsets.
And now that ATi is beginning to offer an alternative chipset on motherboards (the RS300), we may just see nVidia struggling in that field too.

But this time nVidia see's ATi comming (on the chipsets) and can try to do something about it, it seems that nVidia was a bit overconfident after the fall of 3dfx and it bit them in the rear. nVidia shouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Couldn't complain if I wanted to. They earned it. I'm now a loyal ATI owner and all my rigs needing an upgrade in the near future will receive a Radeon 9500 pro or higher.

They've redeemed themselves to the point that the trend can only increase. Let's see Nvidia catch them now... ATI has proven their architecture is superior across the board in all but horsepower. But horespower doesn't mean jack if you put a Race class engine into a mini and add something to take away a PCI slot...

Originally posted by Strakian
Couldn't complain if I wanted to. They earned it. I'm now a loyal ATI owner and all my rigs needing an upgrade in the near future will receive a Radeon 9500 pro or higher.

They've redeemed themselves to the point that the trend can only increase. Let's see Nvidia catch them now... ATI has proven their architecture is superior across the board in all but horsepower. But horespower doesn't mean jack if you put a Race class engine into a mini and add something to take away a PCI slot...
Are you serious man? I guess this is how ATi did get marks over nVidia, apparently all it takes is a swing or 2 of momentum, then all the sudden THE MARKET IS YOURS!!!!!!!!!!.

Anyway back to reality - nVidia didn't gain dominance and then pass it off only to be taken forever, nVidia will be back anyone who thinks otherwise is an *****. Game On.

Of course they will be back, it's just like anything else, they have their ups and downs, and come through ok in the end. Just like the CPU market, there can't be one dominant leader, there always has to be a competitor or it will get seriously ridiculous.

was strictly saying 'at the moment my impressions are'. Of course, Nvidia has to make up for a bunch of things now... DirectX9 compatibility issues with specific games... picture quality... actually be the best card for playing the game that has 'Play it Nvidia' logo at start up... make noiser cards... I'm sure they'll fix some of these in the future.. but right now I'm holding up the 9800XT as the holy grail.

Can't wait to see what's in store for both the new chipsets though!

Originally posted by chuonthis
And now that ATi is beginning to offer an alternative chipset on motherboards (the RS300), we may just see nVidia struggling in that field too.

I doubt that. Intel's boards are generally the best boards to use with their CPUs and thus are probably the most commonly bought motherboard for Intel processors. This is not to mention the motherboards that come with other chipsets such as SiS and VIA that are very distant second from Intel's offerings.

On the other hand, we have nVIDIA producing chipsets for a AMD, who generally do not sell their own line of motherboards for their CPUs. The only other real competitor for nVIDIA is VIA, who is clearly behind in performance and features.

Besides, if you think about it, what it really comes down to is what processor most people are buying at the time. If Intel is dominating the market, chances are that ATi's chipset profit would also go up. Same for nVIDIA if AMD processors were on the rise (much like they are now with the introduction of Athlon64).

I msut add that i feel it's a pitty that ATI's brand has hardly reached south america :(:(

All you can find here is Nvidia and Nvidia... I believe ATI should perhaps concentrate a bit on it's support over other countries such as mine (Argentina)

Originally posted by tripleione
I doubt that. Intel's boards are generally the best boards to use with their CPUs and thus are probably the most commonly bought motherboard for Intel processors. This is not to mention the motherboards that come with other chipsets such as SiS and VIA that are very distant second from Intel's offerings.

Are we talking about just chipsets or full mainboards? I bought the Intel 865PE for my P4, but I wouldn't buy an Intel system board. Simply because I would rather buy a board from ASUS, ABIT, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. Both because of the features, the brand name, and it's a better board - Intel makes good CPUs but that doesn't mean they'll make good system boards.

Originally posted by Federelli
I msut add that i feel it's a pitty that ATI's brand has hardly reached south america :(:(

All you can find here is Nvidia and Nvidia... I believe ATI should perhaps concentrate a bit on it's support over other countries such as mine (Argentina)

That would be smart if they could do that. I don't see why they aren't, maybe it is a local thing in your country, or city? Do they not want to get in ATI products, or is it just that thre isn't any? I would have thought ATI would have been accesable anywhere. Has your community complained to ATI or asked for their products? I'm sure they would love to get them out all over the world.

ATI seem growing stronger day by day, it only a matter of time before it takes Nvidia market, but i hope nvidia will give a good fight so we costumer can get a better card in performance and stability, and im really hope another graphic maker come to join the fight, i hope S3 and XGI can give another good choice for us.
I hate the moment when nvidia destroy 3dfx!

Intel motherboard have been known for their excellent stability but also for their high prices. Asus, Abit, etc. offer boards with more features and are generally cheaper. ATi's main selling point for its chipset will probably be the integrated video. It outperforms what Intel offers onboard and if the price is right, it could become very attractive to consumers who are on a budget.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
That would be smart if they could do that. I don't see why they aren't, maybe it is a local thing in your country, or city? Do they not want to get in ATI products, or is it just that thre isn't any? I would have thought ATI would have been accesable anywhere. Has your community complained to ATI or asked for their products? I'm sure they would love to get them out all over the world.

There are some ATI products Radeon 7500, some 9500..., but they are not advertised as Nvidia's products are, and they are scarcelly sold. It happens all over South America i'm afraid :(....

Do you think that complaining would do anything? i'll see if i can get a petition made or something... thanx!

Originally posted by Vehementi
Are we talking about just chipsets or full mainboards? I bought the Intel 865PE for my P4, but I wouldn't buy an Intel system board. Simply because I would rather buy a board from ASUS, ABIT, Gigabyte, MSI, etc. Both because of the features, the brand name, and it's a better board - Intel makes good CPUs but that doesn't mean they'll make good system boards.

I meant as far as chipsets are concerned. I didn't mean to confuse anyone, sorry.

I can say that everything out there now does not demand for me to upgrade from my ti4200. Neither company has anything new to offer since DirectX 9 games are still so few and far between. Every new game I play now works and looks great. Maybe the next batch will do something and by the time halflife2 or doom3 is out how much will these cards run?

Max Payne 2, Halo, Tomb Raider, Need for Speed: Underground, and many demos, just to mention some
These are already using DX9 features.
Then you have Opengl1.5/2.0 games as well.
I believe it's time to upgrade already from any dx8 card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back