ATT Uverse 2 wire modem relocation

By norm33
Oct 27, 2008
  1. I would like to relocate the 2 Wire DSL modem to another room. Is this a task that I can do myself or do I need the service tech from ATT to move this modem?

I know they will likely charge a service call fee and would like to avoid paying ATT if I can do this myself.

Appreciate any suggestions.

2. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

It's easy and requires no special tools. Just disconnect the modem from one jack and connect it to the new one. Make sure you put a filter on the old jack if you decide to reuse it for something else, i.e. telephone.

-- Andy
  3. norm33

norm33 TS Rookie Topic Starter

ATT 2 wire modem relocation

Thanks for the advice. I tried unplugging the 2 Wire modem and hooked it up to the desired cable outlet and it didn't work? I tried a different location as well and same result.
    I am wondering if the original ATT installer isolated one cable outlet as the only "live" outlet?

This is fiber optic DSL and could that make a difference?

4. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Yes, you are correct. You cannot connect a fibre-optic DSL to a cable outlet. As far as I understand, DSL is designed for telephony. If you want to use cable for Internet, you need to get a cable Internet modem. You can call your ISP and perhaps they can help you over the phone. It will be free of charge.

-- Andy
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.