Attempting to Convert from Windows 7 Home Premium to Win 7 SP1

brandetwine

Ok basically I have just finished restoring my Presario CQ56 Notebook PC to its factory settings.I was trying to update my internet browser from 8 to 10 and it told me that I couldn't due to not having Windows 7 Service Pack 1. So, I'm wondering if I can just convert over to it freely or if they charge for that or what??? After restoring the PC to the "out of the box state" I have over 116 important "SECURITY" updates that all look very similar, each beginning with "KB......." that need to be installed and am concerned that they ALL arent necessary and do not want to take up extra space.
------------My Specs are listed below------------------------------------------
Processor: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 900 @ 2.20 GHz 2.19 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 64 - bit operating system
Pen and Touch : No Pen or Touch Input is available for this display

***Also If anyone can tell me the maximum amount of Memory this Notebook will support I would appreciate it***
And any tips that would help boost the speed of my PC that isn't to expensive I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL!!! Thanks so much xoxoxo

Well, you may not like the answer, but reverting to factory condition DOES leave you with a lot of updating to do. But before doing any of the KB (KnowledgeBase I.e. we learnt of a bug) updates, first off, install SP1 which will be downloadable on it's own, does not incur a charge, but is VERY large. Having successfully updated to SP1 (which is the latest Service Pack for Win 7) you will find the list of required KB is a little reduced, but these bug repairs can accumulate at a rate of 6/7 per month. Since the SP1 release you will have perhaps 170+ updates to install, and 50 or so more if you have office suite too.
I'm not sure about pre-SP1, but post SP1 you will be offered updates divided into two classes, described as 'critical or important' and others described as 'optional'.
You really do need to install the important ones, but a few of those will be replacements for each other. I'm hoping someone who does this more than I do will know whether you best start from the oldest or the newest, or some way to find consolidated updates instead, otherwise you are in for a long haul.

On the question of your notebook memory, 2Gb is a good enough minimum for general browsing and office work, but although a 64-bit processor can use as much as you can afford, you will not in general use, see any difference in performance at all.

It greatly depends upon what you do on the PC, but in general terms - probably a waste of money.

Well I went ahead and started on the long haul lol and am at only 67% if I convert over afterwards will that take additional space??? And the PC will be used for gaming as well as the general facebook games, youtube, some photoshop work, so multiple programs open at once... open to ur suggestions LOL.... its been a nightmare of a wait so far *sighs as she lays her head her head back taking a quick break*

Review of your PC or similar here. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Compaq-Presario-CQ56-Notebook.42285.0.html I was looking for the memory feature, and all it says is one empty slot, the other has 2Gb. So on the face of it, (also taking account of your use, and that the reviewer thinks the video uses some real memory too) you could double your memory with another identical 2Gb strip. You might well be able to tell that things are better then.

Alternatively, you could scrap the existing 2Gb strip and have two 4Gb strips instead, but in all honesty, the notepad is not powerful enough to justify it, I think.

Thanks for the help I will see what my best options are and try to go from there cause I cannot afford a new one yet and would like to try and find cheaper replacement parts to build it up vs. purchasing one if that makes sense.... maybe one stick of 2 gig and a better memory card might do the trick ya think????

One extra stick of 2G is what I would expect to be the best option. What is this about a better memory card? If you are referring to the onboard ATI Radeon HD 4250 whose detail is in a link off the previously-supplied link for the notebook. Well, my reading is that is just a chip soldered into the motherboard, not a separate card at all. You don't normally have upgrade capability for notebook video, to the best of my knowledge.

Spoken by one who has never owned a notebook, and rarely even used one. Best to double check me, but I think that option is closed to you.

Back