Attempting to write CD's crashes my system to BSOd

Status
Not open for further replies.
My system crashes to BSOD on one specific event. In all other situations system very stable including lengthy CAD/photoshop/intensive gaming. Whenever I put a blank CD, of any brand or type (CD-R, RW etc) into either of my drives with a media player open the disc spins up, then the evil BSOD appears. Crash ONLY occurs when a media player/burner is open i.e. when I try to write a music disc in any software, I have tried WMP10, SonicStage, iTunes etc. The discs can be explored or written to via MyComputer but it is not the easiest to make hifi compatible discs. Using WMP10 the following error code is generated at BSOD:

BCCode:1000008e BCP1:C0000005 BCP2:806EE753 BCP3:B647CB0C BCP4:00000000

The BCP3 term changes with the program it crashes from

Nothing is, has been or ever will be overclocked. All temps well within norms. Voltages and amp levels within tolerances. New page file taken and defrag, neither helped. Connections checked and cleaned, case and fans cleaned of dust and debris. Memtest86+ run multiple times at length coming up with 0 errors, I know that is no guarantee but is the best guess I have as to the memory’s condition.

Mobo MSI KT4V (MS-6712)
Mobo Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT400
CPU AMD Athlon XP2600+ (2088 MHz)
RAM 1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM) - 2 sticks 512MB Samsung
PSU Antec SL350P 350 Watt
GPU Nvidia GeForce 6800 (Leadtek WinFast A400 -on most current drivers)
HDD Drive #1 - Maxtor 6Y080L0 (76 GB IDE)
Drive #2 - Seagate Barracuda ST31200026A (111GB IDE)
Optical Drive #1 - SONY CD-RW CRX225E
Drive #2 - NEC DVD_RW ND-4551A
Sound Onboard Realtek Ac97
Other Network Adapter Belkin 802.11g
OS Windows Xp Sp2

Sorry for lengthy post, I wanted to be as specific and exhaustive as possible! I have tried all my limited know-how will allow. Searched TechSpot and Google till my eyes give up, any help anyone can give is most appreciated. I have some minidumps that I can post if this will help.

Since this only happens with optical drives, I guess the following:

-Faulty or loose IDE cable - Recheck cable or replace
-Corrupt Generic Windows Drivers for Optical Drives. - Uninstall your Optical Drives from Device Manager, reboot and let Windows reinstall them. If that doesn't work, then run sfc /scannow from command prompt.
-Corrupt ASPI drivers. -The ASPI drivers I use can be found here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/frcaspi.cfm

I have reinstalled the Generic Windows Drivers, sadly this hasn't changed anything. I also ran sfc/scannow and it has made no difference either. D'oh! I will try the ASPI drivers next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back