TechSpot

Audio and video lagging when connected to the Internet

By voraszmogus
Nov 14, 2008
  1. I just got a new laptop and HP tech support has not been able to solve my problem so I am turning to you guys.

The audio and video has a glitching/lagging effect when I am connect to the internet via WLAN card. But it is not the internet itself; because whether I am watching/listening to something over the internet or watching a DVD from the dvd drive, or listening to something from an outside source (USB stick)--as long as ther is an internet connection running in the background I have this problem. About every 60 seconds staticy noise and slight lagging in the video occur and lasts for about 4-6 seconds. This will continue for as long as I am trying to watch or listen to something and being connected to the internet. However, as soon as I turn off the wireless adapter (with a switch on the front of the laptop, or by manual disconnecting) the problem goes away instantly.

I have downloaded all the latest drivers for the soundcard, WiFi adapter, and the video card. Still having the problem. I am wondering if it is a hardware conflict or if there is a program conflict when connected to the internet. I have no idea!

Sound: Altec Lansing speakers ; Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
    Network adapters: Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n WiFi adapter
    NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Thanks for the help!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

If you are running Vista, make sure you update it to SP1

3. voraszmogus

voraszmogus TS Rookie Topic Starter

My OS: Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit
    Version: 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Any ideas?

4. Tmagic650

Can you try using a wireless network card plugged into a PCMCIA slot. If this works, your built in network card may be defective, and you can have HP service it under warranty

5. voraszmogus

thanks, I disabled my Broadcom adapter card and connected to the internet via a USB adapter, and as far as I can tell the problem is no longer present. Hopefully that does it!

thanks for the tips!

6. voraszmogus

HP sent me a new WLAN card and I installed it, only to have the same problem as I did before with the old WLAN card.

I am back to square one, any ideas?

7. Tmagic650

Does this "new" WLAN card fit into a covered slot on the bottom of the laptop? If it does, the motherboard may be bad. You have at least one PCMCIA card slot. A wireless PCMCIA card will probably work, otherwise your laptop will have to go back for warranty service, where they will probably replace the motherboard or the whole notebook

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.