Audio and vIdeo playback is choppy & slow

justmeinflorida

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help the last time, it was much appreciated. Now I'm back with another problem and I hope you can help me.

I've noticed for the last couple of weeks that when I listen to audio or video (YouTube, Amazon Cloud, Windows Media Player, etc.) that the sound/video is slow, choppy and popping. I'm not really sure what caused this because it was working just fine. Internet browsing works just fine, pages load good...even with a few tabs open. An ideas on how I can fix this?

What antivirus/antimalware software to you have installed? What are your computer specs?

Avast & Malwarebytes

Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53
2.53 Gz 2.0 GB Ram

I also use "Update Checker", "Auslogic Registry Cleaner" and "Clean Up"

Do you have the latest Flash, Shockwave and Java installed? Are all the XP updates installed?

Possible reasons:
too low or too slow system memory; fix by upgrading.
fragmented files; fix by defragmenting the hdd.
hdd is slow or failing; fix by using a newer sata hdd instead of the old pata/ide hdd.

try to use other mediaplayers (clasic mediaplayer from k-lite codec pack, vlc mediaplayer) for playing local media files.
try to use other internet browsers (google chrome, opera, mozilla firefox, ie8 for windows xp) for playing internet content.
try to install latest driver update for the integrated graphics.

download from www.filehippo.com or from techspot download section:
ie8 for windows xp
opera 12.12 32-bit
google chrome dev or stable
mozilla firefox 18.0

vlc mediaplayer 2.05 32-bit
k-lite codec pack 9.65 full

The most common cause of choppy video is a slow internet connection. I have to download video for playback because I have 1Mb DSL, which Verizon doesn't feel obligated to live up to that speed. I think it's running @ about .9Mbs.

It's also possible that the videos you're trying to play online are Hi-def. 720P and 1080P are becoming much more common. These are high bit rate formats.

So, find out if anything has changed with your ISP first, and diagnose from there.

Sometimes driver updates don't have the desired effect and degrade performance, as opposed to enhancing it.

Find out what program, (or process), is using the preponderance of CPU power and memory (Task Manager).

The Celeron is a good CPU, but you have to admit it's dated. Another issue is what video (integrated or card), is in your computer. Here again, with a weak video solution, hi-def videos will cause choppy playback.

And last but not least, there at least exists the possibility that you have some type of malware issue. These are notorious computer slower downers.

Back