TechSpot

audio cable NOT needed?

By gmknobl
May 13, 2003
  1. Browsing today I came across a post claiming you did NOT need an audio cable connecting to your CD/DVD drives to the motherboard to get sound from these drives! I've never heard of this.

3 questions:

1) Is this true in absolute terms?

2) More specifically, does it hold true for the Lite-On CD & DVD rom drives and ASUS A7N8X deluxe motherboard I recently purchased?

3) If it is true, will using the EIDE cable for audio transfer, as this post claimed, use up CPU processing time or interfere with a burn operation on a CDRW?

Thanks.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +335

1 and 2 yes its true if you are on WinXP. #3 yeh it will affect transfer, not so much as cpu processing time, but more of cable time, but if you have a burner with burnproof or equilivant technology then you have nothing to worry about.

3. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

I dont have the cable hooked up in my PC and i get sound ;) Once I was done building my comp. I saw it and went "umm" :( But it worked fine without it. :D

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Both the drive and OS must support digital audio extraction.

My liteon burner supports it. It has nothing to do with mobo. Assuming CD audio is 128 kbps, the effect on normal data transfer should be minimal.

There shouldn't be much problem with CPU either since no decompression is involved, the sound data is sent to the soundcard. Unless your soundcard is very old/crappy, it should be able to process 44.1 kHz sound without problems either.

You should give it a try. I got a huge reduction is background hiss when i disconnected the CD audio cable.

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Let's assume it's 176 ;)

44100 Hz * 16 bits / 8 bits * 2 channels = 176400 bps

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

LOL - good catch Mict - I believe the last post is the correct bitrate. Remember that redbook has a slightly higher bitrate than 1X data transfers.

LNCPapa

7. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

If you're using Windows 98+ you shouldn't require the audio cables to be connected at all.

8. Supra

Supra TS Enthusiast Posts: 236

In windows 98SE I cant use the CD player if I don't have my audio cable connected.

9. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

My CD-player can still play CDs without a cable in Windows ME/

10. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

I've never once had to use the audio cable, and I've been doin this for 11+ years ;-)

11. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Acid> But then again, back in the early/mid 90's we connected our cdroms directly to the soundcard....

11 years? Man, as time flies! It feels like yesterday I bought my first quad speed cdrom....

12. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

First quad speed? Lucky you, mine was either single speed or double speed, I'm not sure. I remember playing Rebel Assault and Dune with that sucker hehe.

13. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Whoops! My bad.. :blush:

It's good to see somebody bothers to read my posts since I myself don't.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.