Audio Troubles and I am out of ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 915GAV motherboard and until Monday June 12 I had sound. Now it tells me no audio device is installed...??? Then it brings up a pop up telling me there is a New PCI Device to be installed....????? This a work comp that was running on on board audio, there was no audio card installed. Now this machine did recently get a bug (more like the Flu) and it was cleaned friday june 9 before leaving for home.

To recap symptoms:

Windows says no audio devices installed
The comp is telling me a new PCI device is installed but there isnt one
and I have tried reloading all the drivers for the on board right from Intel.

Please can someone help, I miss music at work........

My first thought would be the new PCI device IS the sound card, and thus you won't get sound until the card is installed.

When the add new hardware wizard comes up, does it give any clues what that PCI device is? Go through the wizard and point it to the location of your Intel audio drivers to see if XP (XP right?) has the driver in there.

Right click My Computer and choose properties. Click Hardware tab and then Device Manager.
In this list, is there any exclamation points, question marks or red 'X' on anything? How about any "unknown device"?
Click on the "Sound video and game controllers" and list what is under that.

It's a start - good luck

Thank you both for responding. IT people got fired basicly. XP yes. Now it doesnt have an audio card I was using on board and it worked just fine now it isnt. I listen to internet radio no music storage here....... There is a caution exclamation point for a new PCI device installed but there was never to my knowledge a sound card in it unless someone yoked iut out the box over the weekend and put it in theirs.....

Whether it is a card, or onboard, it still needs a driver just the same. My guess is the caution exclamation IS the sound.

In some way you need to figure out how to load the sound driver for the motherboard. First delete that bad entry in Device Manager. Then run the installer for your sound card.
If the add new hardware wizard comes around, be sure NOT to cancel it or the driver won't be loaded. If it starts asking for files, point it to the location of the sound driver, or of c:\windows\inf (whatever your windows folder is). Etc...

Well anyway, try that at least, see what kind of things start to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back