TechSpot

Australia finally approves R18+ rating for video games

By Matthew
Jun 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Australians will soon be able to purchase mature video games with legislation for an adult rating finally passing Federal Parliament. Despite offering an R18+ rating (deemed unsuitable for those under 18 years old) for films, the highest ranking for games…

Read more

2. Australians have been able to buy these titles for years.

3. TekGun

TekGun TS Enthusiast Posts: 160   +15

I give them a month before the country implodes :D

4. I am an Aussie and have had no issues getting banned games, I think the R18+ debate was only there for politicians and legislators to gain votes and or money I guess now the "debate" is over we now only have to wait another 6 months to a year for the trickle effect to take place once the states set regulations etc.

The politicians here and legislators are very slow you see they think being modern is having an ipod or an iphone, shows you there a lot of lemmings here that control the agendas.

5. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 245   +18

As the Aussie points out, these ratings are meaningless and unenforceable.

I guess Oz's Parasites are catching up to the rest of the world and passing legislation for strictly political purposes.

6. Took. WAY too long. Never understood why Australia was so gung-ho about it. Was there ever an event that triggered their paranoia about it?

Some school shooting? Some crazed murderer? Did some parent just complain a lot? Was it all because of some politician?

7. Upio

Upio TS Rookie

Look up Michael Atkinson.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.