TechSpot

Australian website waits 3 years to inform customers of data breach

By Scorpus
Jul 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. If you want a good idea of exactly what not to do in informing customers of a data breach involving your website, follow the lead set by Australian website Catch of the Day.

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

If after 3 years, no one was targeted, why would that change?

3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,540   +2,337

George Costanza being the faceman for this company's ad is too much.

St1ckM4n and Jamesbrah like this.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

"we take data security seriously and have taken strong measures to protect their personal information." You take data security soo seriously you plan to inform them about your failure of a security system after the hackers have used there details! Well done... well done...

Then you take strong measures to protect personal information I dunno about you but waiting 3years before telling them which means allowing 3years to pass aka customers cant find out if they fell victim of credit card fraud, I must say thats the damn strongest measure I have ever heard.

Well done Catch of the Day you have sucessfully ruined your reputation for 100% current & future & past customers, gosh your employee's and CEO & Owner must be super proud for making sure they get avoided by the whole population of earth!

SirChocula likes this.
  5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,540   +2,337

I'm sure we'll find out in a few years time.

6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

For all we know some of them already may have been but, since they weren't alerted by the website, they might not have made the connection to the website. The customers just dealt with it and moved on.
    Actions seem to prove otherwise.

spectrenad likes this.
  7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

I don't know of anyone that has used the website since 2011, as their 'deals' have gone severely downhill.

Also, I never got an email. Good to know I'm safe and secure!

8. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,214   +1,240

I buy from them every now and then. They offer great deals every 1 in 100 or so ;)

9. I'm a Catch Of The Day customer and when I heard this I was FURIOUS! Really fricken pissed off. Who takes 3 bloody YEARS to tell their customers that their shopping details have been stolen. I logged straight in and changed my password and looked at the details they had stolen...

...and then I realised I signed up for the site in 2012.

So we've finally reached the stage where someone can sign up for a site, forget when they signed up and get pissed off at the company, and not be effected by the problem.

Catch Of The Day; internet troll? or best internet troll?

cliffordcooley likes this.