TechSpot

Australia's 4G is the fastest in the world, US' ranks second slowest

1. Users of 4G LTE in the US: Your last-gen network isn't as fast as you think. British research firm OpenSignal, which specializes in wireless coverage mapping, has released a report which states that Australia has the fastest 4G Internet speed...

Read more

2. Yea but we have horrible fixed line speeds.

And 4G costs a fortune, the reason why its cheap is nobody uses it.

Darth Shiv likes this.
  3. Capitalism has failed in the USA.

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,920   +687

Wow, The UK wasn't the slowest at something Internet related. Now that IS a first.

5. second_coming

second_coming TS Rookie

I recently did a 4g speedtest in Leeds and got 30Mbps download and 21Mbps upload. That was on o2.

6. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

LOL. why do we Filipinos always in the top of the slowest internet service be it landline or wireless (3G/Wimax/LTE)?
    To many consumers resulting in congestions or ISPs too greedy that "real faster speeds" are available only for those who want and can afford to pay?

7. Amigosdefox

Amigosdefox TS Booster Posts: 99   +10

I live in Mexico and 4G speed is about 6 Mb/s. I don't really need 30 Mb/s but what is absurd is the 600MB data cap for almost $60 per month.

8. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

Who needs 4G when you can have LTE?

9. miluthui

miluthui TS Member Posts: 16

In Vietnam we don't even have 4G yet only 3G and it's very slow and expensive as hell not to mention the internet here is censored they block many sites like facebook I have to change DNS to access it.

10. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

Hey, the US also has the poorest broadband penetration and most expensive internet of any first world country - can't forget that! 'Murica!

11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,624   +377

Misleading figure in Australia. Data rates are crazy expensive. Fixed line you get 500GB a month for $80. 4G you are paying $50 a month and get a GB or 2... What is the point of the fast speed?

12. I would just stay with 3G then I would not give that type of money for that

13. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 738   +247

Let's be fair. The Philippinos only have the slowest speed because they're still recovering from a little storm they had recently.

14. scorpian007

scorpian007 TS Enthusiast Posts: 52   +18

Indeed.. I get 50-70Mbps on my 4G phone via Telstra but with a 1GB cap there's no point.

Our fixed line internet is really **** compared to the rest of the world :(

Darth Shiv likes this.
  15. atherosXD

atherosXD TS Rookie

I'm from the Philippines and I can get 35Mbps on LTE and the HSPA+ in our area can go as high as 12Mbps and the our monthly is Php 999 or $22 more or less. their is also a cap of 1GB but I'm not experiencing it since my Data usage is almost 43GB now from feb 1. but the coverage of LTE in the philippines are small.

misor likes this.
  16. Ravneil Lal

Ravneil Lal TS Rookie

In the Fiji Islands 4G has just launched a few month ago and we are Hittings speeds of 90 Mbps down/36 Mbps up. I think we are the number one in terms of 4G speeds :/

17. It's not capitalism that is to blame. It's government regulation. The free market would provide top service at a fair price were it not for the interference of the gov't. That goes for both parties. Time for a new Revolution.

18. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,624   +377

That is complete garbage. A free market also results in price fixing, collusion, natural monopolies & oligopolies. A pure free market simply does not work. It *requires* regulation to keep the checks and balances in place.

19. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

It's fast in Australia because there's probably only a handful of towers. Also with our low population, users-per-tower ratio is pretty low.

20. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

NO, I'm a Filipino and before the storm and the earthquake which devastated large areas, our internet speed is already slow compared to other nations.

my ISP, globe telecom, as an added bonus to its subscribers, already offers a free "overnight internet boost" - a temporary increase in internet speed starting at late night and ending at morning.
    I hope this gets permanent no matter what the time is.

on the other hand, the competition increases its rural area internet penetration which would make internet services better for all.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  21. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 708   +168

No wonder it was taking 20 seconds for web pages to load when I had 4/5 bars of LTE when I was in San Antonio.

22. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,905   +530

I get better 3G speeds in Romania (not to mention 4G) than what the US offers for 4G. coupled with 1gbps fiber connections for just 20$ and I can safely say that Europe rocks ^_^