Auto design legend Henrick Fisker plans to unveil his Tesla competitor in August, 400...

William Gayde

Danish automotive designer Henrik Fisker is seen as one of the most iconic entrepreneurs in the industry. He has designed countless luxury cars including models for BMW, Aston Martin, and his own company, Fisker Inc. Fisker's newest project is a long-range electric car that he hopes can compete with some of the market's largest players like the Tesla Model 3 and Chevy Bolt.

The new vehicle, dubbed the Fisker EMotion, will have a range of 400 miles on a single charge. It will be manufactured by Fisker Inc. and will have a top speed of 161 mph. Fisker is also planning on revealing it to the public on August 17th. Current plans are for the vehicle to be built in Detroit's VLF Automotive plant. Fisker said the luxury car will be in the same price market as a high-end Tesla Model S.

The current range of Tesla's vehicles is around 300 miles so to achieve the 400 mile range Fisker is planning for his car, he will be using a totally new energy storage design. Fisker Nanotech, a division of Fisker Inc., has created a graphene supercapacitor system as opposed to traditional lithium ion batteries. Supercapacitors store energy electrostatically rather than through chemical reactions like standard batteries use. This allows them to have a much higher power density and lifespan while maintaining a shorter charge time than lithium-ion batteries.

These new technologies are still in their early phases of development but Fisker has future plans to bring the vehicle price down to less than $35,000. The EMotion will also house autonomous driving sensors in the front for "future autonomous capability."

Permalink to story.

These people are still trying to sell electrics? Wind power is cleaner and sometimes has greater range.

sail_car.jpg

Once Tesla finishes their gigafactory they will account for half the world Lipo batteries and I heard they are talking about building a second. That means that even if Tesla stops selling cars there is at least a 50% chance that any electric car you buy will have tesla batteries in it.

Once Tesla finishes their gigafactory they will account for half the world Lipo batteries and I heard they are talking about building a second. That means that even if Tesla stops selling cars there is at least a 50% chance that any electric car you buy will have tesla batteries in it.

Technically Li-ion, not LiPo, and Panasonic is sharing a lot of tech with Tesla for the batteries. Panasonic actually employs a good number of people at the Gigafactory. Tesla won't be able to sell it's batteries without paying Panasonic a hefty royalty.

I'm usually a skeptic, but I become a cynic whenever I hear "graphene". Graphene despite its nearly limitless potential always seems to carry the unmistakable aroma of vaporware.

They're developing a new type of battery and they're promoting a new concept using some kind of supercapacitor associated with, leveling discharge and recharge currents and lowering the internal impedance.I believe this is a superior solution compared to Tesla, but it has to be verified in a real life scenario, as it should last longer and recharge faster.I'm also curious about the charger they're using.

Back