Autopilot exploit lets researchers trick Tesla vehicle into driving toward oncoming traffic...

Polycount

Staff
Why it matters: It's not exactly a well-kept secret that self-driving technologies have a few issues. Tesla's semi-autonomous "Autopilot" driving tool has made headlines on more than one occasion after allegedly making a decision that has led to a driver's injury or death. Unfortunately for Tesla, researchers have now found a reliable way to trick Autopilot into acting against its drivers best interests.

You may think they did this by hacking into the car's software or drastically altering the way Autopilot functions, but the reality is much simpler.

All researchers had to do to fool Autopilot was attach three small stickers to the road in a diagonal formation. Upon doing so, they found that Autopilot seems to read the stickers as some sort of lane merge or turn indicator, causing their tested vehicle to drive straight into what would be oncoming traffic.

Researchers note that this exploit is "simple to deploy" and only requires materials that are "easy to obtain." In theory, just about anybody could place these near-invisible stickers down and watch the potential carnage.

For better or worse, in a statement emailed to Ars Technica, Tesla made it clear that it doesn't feel this vulnerability is anything to be worried about. The company says that since this exploit requires someone to "alter" the environment around an Autopilot-equipped vehicle, it is "not a realistic concern."

Tesla goes on to place the burden of responsibility on drivers, noting that they can and should "always be prepared" to take control of the steering wheel or brakes if Autopilot makes a bad call.

Permalink to story.

Give users the option do disable all assistances. They buy your cars and you treat them like *****s who can't drive by themselves.

Give users the option do disable all assistances. They buy your cars and you treat them like *****s who can't drive by themselves.
Tesla drivers do not have to turn on the "Autopilot." They never have.

Its the id!ots who bought into the marketing that the feature is really an "Autopilot," completely take their hands off the wheel for extended periods of time, and actually think that it can drive for them because its the next best thing since the horse and buggy that are screwing and killing themselves that is a big part of the problem.

I am not in the least defending Musk or Tesla. They both chose to market the autonomous assist as "Autopilot" when it is really nothing more than an assist. Musk is, and always has been, IMO, a complete :poop: head who should not be in this business.

Its the id!ots who bought into the marketing that the feature is really an "Autopilot," completely take their hands off the wheel for extended periods of time, and actually think that it can drive for them because its the next best thing since the horse and buggy that are screwing and killing themselves that is a big part of the problem.

I am not in the least defending Musk or Tesla. They both chose to market the autonomous assist as "Autopilot" when it is really nothing more than an assist. Musk is, and always has been, IMO, a complete :poop: head who should not be in this business.

Musk is what the world needed. But he looks to be cracking, wouldn't surprise me if ends up suicide....

Musk is what the world needed. But he looks to be cracking, wouldn't surprise me if ends up suicide....
The world doesn’t need more rats.
I’m always surprised at how the press manages to create new messiahs from turds. Musk is a cokehead without any scruples. He’s a scammer and not a visionary.

It could be because the features is literally named "Autopilot". I'm sure they didn't name it by mistake. They want people to think it's the futuristic autopilot you see in movies cause it's awesome and a massive selling point. But I absolutely agree it's peoples fault too, no matter how advanced the system is, never let Musk take the wheel, that's all on you.

My comment got "folded away" again:
I am not in the least defending Musk or Tesla. They both chose to market the autonomous assist as "Autopilot" when it is really nothing more than an assist. Musk is, and always has been, IMO, a complete [image link] I'm always surprised at how the press manages to create new messiahs from turds. Musk is a cokehead without any scruples. He's a scammer and not a visionary.

I’m always surprised at how the press manages to create new messiahs from turds. Musk is a cokehead without any scruples. He’s a scammer and not a visionary.

Mmm yes kickstarting a new private space race, pushing renewables makes him a scammer. **** outta here.

H3llion said:
" Musk is what the world needed. But he looks to be cracking, wouldn't surprise me if ends up suicide...."

I’m always surprised at how the press manages to create new messiahs from turds. Musk is a cokehead without any scruples. He’s a scammer, not a visionary.

*repost as Admins keep deleting/modifying it* (nice practice, that is)

H3llion said:
" Musk is what the world needed. But he looks to be cracking, wouldn't surprise me if ends up suicide...."

I’m always surprised at how the press manages to create new messiahs from turds. Musk is a cokehead without any scruples. He’s a scammer, not a visionary.

Maybe you should refresh your screen or something instead accusing anyone of deleting your posts.

So he's not worried? What car does HE drive and is it off the factory floor or does his have a lot of "extra modifications" what we'll probably never see? LOL

H3llion said:

Maybe you should refresh your screen or something instead accusing anyone of deleting your posts.
I caught them before and documented it. For instance, they flooded my account with false passwords, disabling it during a 'hot discussion'. Another time (discussing a topic concerning their 'sponsors'), my account was disabled in a way, that I could do everything except post. I documented this and more. Every time I sent them the evidence, the account was re-enabled silently, once 'the contested topic had gone out of focus'.

Looks to be? :laughing: IMO, IS is a better word in this case!;)
That's the wonderful state of our society. If you make lots of money, the world thinks you must be an absolute genius in all of life. Its surprising to me that more people do not realize this is fallacy.
Mmm yes kickstarting a new private space race, pushing renewables makes him a scammer. **** outta here.
IMO, NASA has far more responsibility for kick-starting the private sector space industry.
So he's not worried? What car does HE drive and is it off the factory floor or does his have a lot of "extra modifications" what we'll probably never see? LOL
He launched his on Falcon Heavy. He probably walks. ;):laughing:

Back