Available Free RAM in CPU dropping!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkFiNbowL

Does the computer keeps using RAM when the computer is on, because I remember when I restart a computer or shutdown a computer, then when it starts, I remember i have about 350/512 free space, now after i've been on for about almost a day or a long time, it drops to around 230-250 and who knows? It may drop even lower.

My question is, is this normal for computers? I'm total noob at RAMS. Please explain!

Come on Shark, you've been here enough to at least get it in the right forum. And what the heck does your subject mean? I'm goign to have to clean that up if I can ever figure out what exactly to do with it.

Running an NT based OS as opposed to a 9x shouldn't do it, its supposed to clear out RAM much better after you close a program. But actually it seems like you posted without looking into this any on your own. Everyone needs to make a consious effort to think about thier posts before they post, and maybe even google it.
My guess is the reason you are using more RAM after leaving on your computer for a day is something real obvious: like you are running more programs after a day than you are on a clean reboot. Why don't you take note of what is really running when you reboot, and then what is running when you say that more RAM is being used.

You aren't being real clear as to what you are exactly asking. RAM usage isn't something that can be easily explained because some applications leak memory, some hang in memory after they close and the OS itself will use RAM differently according to the version and particular settings. The simple answer would be that the longer you run it, the more RAM it will use. This will depend on what apps you run, what types of things you do, etc. This explanation isn't very accurate though because there are many factors that can make you use more or less RAM and may make you use what is available more or less rapidly.

CPU usage on the other hand is another story entirely.

Memory fluctuates too much to really diagnose that as being a problem or not.

While you use Windows XP (Or any almost any OS for that matter), it stores data into memory to speed up programs. You'll notice the first time you open a program it might take a couple of seconds to load, but when you launch it immediately after, it loads insantaneously. This is because part of it is stored in memory.

This is normal behavior, but it should never run out of memory doing this. I find Windows XP tends to keep more than 250MB free at all times, unless I am running demanding programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back