Avast Free, Pro, Internet Security version 5 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Alwil Software has released three new security products today, all of which include version 5 of the popular Avast antivirus. Avast Free Antivirus is now the company's flagship product and replaces Avast Home Edition, Avast Pro Antivirus is an update to the old Professional edition, and Avast Internet Security is a new software suite.

Version 5 brings several improvements, such as a smaller footprint that uses fewer system processes, quicker scan speeds, a "Behavioral Shield" for threats not present in Avast's definitions, and a revamped GUI. Meanwhile, the Pro and Internet Security options add a script shield, a sandbox, and a command line scanner. As a suite, of course, Internet Security also has an anti-spam filter and built-in firewall.

The official Avast blog notes that if you're using version 4.8, updating to 5 is painless. You can download the base software here free of charge, but the Pro and Internet Security solutions are $39.95 and $59.95, respectively.

Permalink to story.

According to Av-comparatives, MSE and Avast 4.8 rank about the same for detection and lack of false positives. They are both rated as Advanced++ which is the best rating they give.

I purchased their 3 year Pro license 2 years ago and I haven't had a single virus since. Avast works like a champ, is easy to use, and updates daily. I just reinstalled the program and the new ui looks great! 5*

Does the free version have any annoying popup or other thing encouraging the user to upgrade?

(I've used a mix of AVG free, NOD32 and MSE on various computers for a few years now and haven't had a virus. I've also dropped from using a dedicated firewall to the one included in Vista.)

I have tested Avast, MSE, Avira, AVG, McAfee, Trend, Symantec, all have their pros and cons. For free AV software, I think MSE, Avast and Avira are all good (I'm currently running MSE). I believe that to protect your computer you need layers of protection, Firewall, Patched OS/Apps, Anti-Malware and User Knowledge.

The free version has no annoying pop-ups that I've seen. I've used it for several years and have been very happy with it. I'm considering the full suite myself as there is a decent upgrade discount of 30% or so until February, so 3 yrs 3 PCs is $118.96...pretty cheap. I'd wholeheartedly recommend trying the free version at the very least, great product.

Now this is a surprise. The final version was supposed to come out later but given the good feedback on the beta builds alwil seems to have made lots of progress in a short time.

I like the more streamlined gui, the 4.x versions despite being a very good av did not relfect the seriousness of a security software with those weird skins. Also the ads for a pro version are quite unobtrusive, inside the gui window, no popups.

A 3-computer license for Avast_5_Internet_Security suite is just $41.96, until Feb.

i have avast internet security but when i want install it say this beta version is expire please download another.
please help me thanks.
or sent me in my email address URL that it have new version of avast internet security setup
this is my email address (hamid.hassany2009@yahoo.com)
thanks again

Avast is the best AV for me, before that i a Kaspersky/BitDefender/AVG user, but what i want to tell you here is da trobule while using this Kaspersky/BitDefender/AVG.

Kaspersky
----------------
While it scan, sometimes it show u the false result detection, example, if the Folder no contains any of Virus, and he will say it PDM.Win32.Trojan, and sometimes the Folder contains a Virus that can damage ur PC but it doesn't detect anything, it gives you trouble when everytime it want u to update it,but da result is so sad! huh.

BitDefender
-----------------
Everyone say this is da best and get da top list from top10 reviews 2010 for AV, but when it into ur PC, da trouble is it will gives u many of lagg/stuck/ in other way u need to restart ur PC, while surf da net, something slow down ur connection, huh!, bud da protection it give mayb is da best/better than Kaspersky

AVG
-------
Many people use AVG, bud da protection it giving is to low, when my PC infected with Trojan, it won't remove it or disinfect the infection, dis will gives u more trouble, what u need is da Full Protection for ur PC, in other way it doesn't make ur PC slow down.

Avast
--------
Now i use this AV, what u will get is the very most trusted Full Protection for ur PC, while it protect ur PC, it doesn't make any of lagg/stuck/or slow down ur PC, it very smooth ur work, da Protection it giving juz da same from BitDefender/Kaspersky and AVG, so that's it, juz remember before u buy AV Product, u must know the Protection it give, if something get to the top this mean the top is not the best anyway, most trusted AV Product since 1988, and i use Avast. =]

thank you.

For Avast Internet Security 2010 Genuine Licensed Key untill 2011 juz search from youtube.com and you will find it, the tips,hint,rumor from me, hobbykiosk.

Apart from preferring the UI of Avast over AVG, Avira there are two big pluses for Avast free. 1. the daily updates are small so doesn't chew up all your bandwidth (problem of Avira). And it has email scanning.

Iv never had a problem with Bit Defender it has always worked perfectly no freezes or slowing of internet ( could be your computer) Just wanted to add that in so everyone does avoid this software

If you want to pay for it choose Bit Defender or Defender Pro they are cheap and highly protective.

Avira and Avast are great free software

To get ridd of POPUP on Avira Antivirus

Open Avira folder from "My Computer/Programs" and right click the (red Icon) avngt click properties , select security tab then select Deny on Read and Execute (may need to hit edit) or start up in Safe Mode to do this depending on windows operating system.

Without a doubt Avast is the best antivirus software avaliable at any price,
I've been using it for 6 plus years, No problems whatsoever, Anyone who is using the free version should,"if they can" make a contribution to the company for providing the general public with such a great 'free' software program!

whoa somebody is awake now only.
i have this installed for over an year now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest, please notice that this article about the release of Avast 5 was published in January 2010.

great results. Not all the rubbish that sometime is advertised.
cheers

I used to be an AVG user, then Panda, Sophos, Avira (Avira 10 doesn't live up to my expectations) I switched to Avast! 5. Great AV btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back