Bad block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Event log has shown the following error a few times ::

"The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block."

I have tried to scan the drive and have found no errors. First, to confirm, which drive would that be? Second, which disk check utility should/would show that type of error. Third, any other suggestions or needs?

Running: WinXP SP2 OS
Hardware: 2 physical drives on IDE primary, 1 physical drive on SATA & 2 CD/DVD drives on IDE secondary.

Harddisk0 indicates the "first" hard drive. Should be the primary IDE. The D: partition maybe?

You have to specifically tell chkdsk to scan for bad sectors, otherwise it will just check the filesystem. You can get a real diagnostic utility from the hard drive maker.

You can hope that this/these is/are the only bad sector(s), but it is rather likely that more and more will pop up in the future. You should move any important data off the drive.

Some parts of thing may still be usable, so if you are a penny-pincher or just don't believe in consumerism, you can partition around the bad sectors.

Nodsu said:
Harddisk0 indicates the "first" hard drive. Should be the primary IDE. The D: partition maybe?
That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure because of the drive order; I'm running a SATA card with the only drive on it as the boot (C:) so D: is the first drive on the IDE primary -- so I was thinking D: as well.
Nodsu said:
You have to specifically tell chkdsk to scan for bad sectors, otherwise it will just check the filesystem.
Do you have the switches to do that? I already ran chkdsk which returned no errors. Also I assume "Bad Block" is the same as a bad sector?

Thanks
Lee

It can't hurt scanning all your hard drives and partitions..

From command line, you run "chkdsk /f /r drive:". It's a check box in the graphical disk checking app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back