TechSpot

Bad MOBO, CPU, BIOS or ?

By MXHowes
Oct 23, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: ASRock K7VT6, Athlon 2600+

I left my system running the other day and came back a few hours later to find it had not hibernated but the screen was blank, the fans were running and the power & HD lights were lit. I hit the reset button and nothing happened. I turned off the power supply. Now when I try to power up I only get running fans, and the front led's (power& HD) stay lit.

I am down to the point now where I have 'bench tested" the unit with only the MOBO, CPU (with heat sink and fan), 1 stick of memory and the speaker connected. If I short the power switch the fan starts running, the CPU gets warm but no beeps, nothing.

I think I am down to either a bad MOBO, CPU or BIOS. How do I check this further.

Below are some of the things I have tried:

1. Went thru a multimeter check list, PSU is OK. All voltages on ATX connector OK. All ATX ground circuits on MB OK.
    2. Removed all components and connectors from MB & reinstalled
    3. Cleared CMOS by jumper, and also tried to clear by removing the battery.
    4. I have tried a spare, known good, PSU.
    5. I have tried both sticks of memory alone in slot 1.
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Probably the board. When a processor goes bad you usually get beeps or no activity.
  3. MXHowes

MXHowes TS Rookie Topic Starter

If the CPU is good, the board must be bad or maybe the BIOS? If you have a bad BIOS what hapens when you try to power up?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.