Bad News, SSDs Are Getting More Expensive: SSD Pricing Update

Definitely glad to have bought ssd's middle to end of last year, one sk hynix platinum 2tb would cost the same as the 2 I got a couple of months before, price jump (all because the nand cartel decided they weren't raking in profits insane enough....) is massive, though Samsung is supposedly working on 16tb (and so I guess also 8tb) m.2's as they have some new nand chip that enables that capacity, so that might shake things up

Only getting up in price because manufacturers are cutting back on production, thus creating an artificial shortage. With the artificial shortage going on it looks like demand is outpacing supply and they can crank up prices for the "supply and demand" they forced.

These companies loved the locked down crap with covid when 99% of people couldn't go anywhere or do anything and they drool over those sales records of people just buying up stuff because they were bored. These manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand and prices took a big jump. The market couldn't keep that pace up forever and when things started to cool down over the past couple years now. Sales of new tech equipment has been in a bit of a slump, they have to do what they need to do to get those numbers back up and keep prices high.

Keep prices up, keep stockholders happy and F over the consumers.

Only getting up in price because manufacturers are cutting back on production, thus creating an artificial shortage. With the artificial shortage going on it looks like demand is outpacing supply and they can crank up prices for the "supply and demand" they forced.

These companies loved the locked down crap with covid when 99% of people couldn't go anywhere or do anything and they drool over those sales records of people just buying up stuff because they were bored. These manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand and prices took a big jump. The market couldn't keep that pace up forever and when things started to cool down over the past couple years now. Sales of new tech equipment has been in a bit of a slump, they have to do what they need to do to get those numbers back up and keep prices high.

Keep prices up, keep stockholders happy and F over the consumers.

Truth

I have the WD Black and knock on wood it has held up very well with gaming and video editing. I'm 37 years old and built many PCs since I was 10-13 and WD have been very good to me. I had a few Seagate's and had a few hiccups. I seem to be cursed with that brand.😆

'Tis true.. bought a 980 Pro w/ heatsink 2tb for $AUD167 4 months ago through Amazon.. current price: $299!!.. massive difference, near 100% increase.

Still supply v demand with price the discriminator in the middle means a lot simply won't bother buying in the next 6 months.. not sure how that leaves things.

I bought a fanxiang S101 4TB SSD from Amazon last July for only $149.99, they don't even list that size as available any more unfortunately, but the 2TB model is listed at $109.99.
Kinda bummed the 4tb model isn't listed, it's been serving me nicely and I could be tempted to get another..
[edit: they do have a 4tb model as S109 model, at $239.99... that's quite a jump in price in just half year.]

Last edited:
Did they outright stop teaching economics in schools? Tell us: if your theory is correct, why didn't manufacturers cut prices last year, or the year before that? Just trying to catch us unwary consumers off guard?

While you're pondering that, you might wish to google the phrases "marginal profit" and "rational actors", especially in conjunction with maximization theory.

We already knew the price will be increasing beginning this year....even Techspot has been running the pricing articles before. No surprises or bad news here.

Got a 4TB WD 850X when the price was right (...considering I live outside USA so huge import fees apply...). Got enought storage for the next 5 or so years, I don't need PCIe Gen 5.

Back