Bad Pool Caller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start by saying I know very little about computers. I can use them, but just don't know all the technical stuff. That said, I have a desktop, which I have had for 5 or 6 years now. A few days ago when I turned it on, it said my disk needed to be checked for consistency. I let it do its thing and then after it was done it went to a black screen that said Bad_Pool_Caller and a bunch of other stuff. It said it was dumping my physical memory to disk and counted to 99 before returning to the original screen (where it checked my disk for consistency again). I allowed it to cycle nonstop through those 2 screens for over half a day. I tried pressing F8 and switching to safe mode but all that does is change the black screen to blue and it continues to cycle just the same. The page with the error message says to remove newly installed hardware but there has not been anything installed for months and even if I had installed anything... I can't access my computer at all with it cycling between those 2 screens constantly! I am getting very frustrated, can anybody help me?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go Here and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Try doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE

Please let us know the results.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Update

Well sorry this has been so long for me to get to this, but I am a fulltime college student and mother, so I just did not have time! Nothing has changed. To be honest, MOST of the stuff that I found in the links given either involved being able to get on my computer, which I cannot, not even in safe mode. Or it was a bunch of tech stuff that I honestly just did NOT understand. I am VERY discouraged with my computer and am tempted to throw the whole thing in the trash right now. I am completely lost and pretty much at my wits end. I tried cleaning it out with compressed air, that has not worked. That was honestly all I was able to do. I didn't take it apart except to take the side off, after that I couldn't figure out what, if anything, to take apart. And even if I had known what to take apart, I couldn't figure out HOW to take any of it apart. All this is just adding to my already extremely high level of frustration. Is there any further help that can be given, or am I just more or less SOL? Thanks

I`m sorry to hear you`re still having major problems.

The fact that you`re not comfortable with the inside of the computer is fine. Not everyone is. Did you try the Windows repair?

Maybe you should consider taking the computer to your local pc repair shop and have them look at it for you.

Regards Howard :)

I did not run the Windows repair. Looks like you need the windows CD. I don't have a CD. My computer was an open box item and didn't have one, unfortunately. I do have a Windows CD from my laptop, but did not know if that was ok to use or if I would screw things up even more. Is it ok to use that CD to try the repair? They are both XP Home Edition. Thanks.

You could use the Windows cd from your laptop to do a repair, but you would need to know the Windows key for you current desktop installation. It may be on a sticker on the computer itself. If you can`t find it, or don`t know it, then it won`t work.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back