Bad pool header?

MrkenoBoy

Get BSOD on a PC, almost exclusively used to surf. So no overclocking or demanding games running. I have run Memtest86 about 9 h - no errors. Have tested the drive using HD Tune and Maxator and Seagate Diagnostics - no errors. No dust in the computer, no temperature problems. Reinstalled OS(winxp 32 bite), updated motherboard and video card drivers and win update correctly but the crashes are continuing.

The latest crasch looks (according whocrashed):
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x2EF2)
Bugcheck code: 0x19 (0x20, 0xFFFFFFFF8836B9FA, 0xFFFFFFFF8836BA02, 0x1A010000)
Error: BAD_POOL_HEADER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that a pool header is corrupt.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
What is POOL HEADER?

The craschen before the latest one was also about file hal.dll as above according to:
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x2B68)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0xFFFFFFFF9CFFB6BB, 0x1C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80702B68)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
I also thought about updating BIOS but is unsure what to update. Are many different things and don't know what is relevant.
Link --> asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_SLI#download

Does someone know what might be causing these crashes? grateful for the help

Earlier crash dumps seem to have with my graphic card(Connect 3D Radeon X300) to do, especially files:

ati2mtag.sys (ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.)
ati2dvag.dll (ATI Radeon WindowsNT Display Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.)
ati2cqag.dll (Central Memory Manager / Queue Server Module, ATI Technologies Inc.)

The crashes are as follows:
On Fri 2011-06-10 19:28:24 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061011-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ati2dvag.dll (ati2dvag+0xF883)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0xD, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2dvag.dll
product: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Display Driver
company: ATI Technologies Inc.
description: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Display Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ati2dvag.dll (ATI Radeon WindowsNT Display Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: ati2dvag.dll ATI Technologies Inc. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M

On Sun 2011-04-17 20:07:52 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041711-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x198F1)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF891955C8, 0xFFFFFFFF8994B218, 0xFFFFFFFFF78BECBC, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sun 2011-04-17 10:43:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ati2dvag.dll (ati2dvag+0xA59A)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFF9D8F75, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFF9D8F75, 0x0)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ati2dvag.dll (ATI Radeon WindowsNT Display Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: ati2dvag.dll ATI Technologies Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

On Thu 2011-04-07 14:09:21 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ati2cqag.dll (ati2cqag+0x1AC62)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF88B073B0, 0xFFFFFFFF89967EC8, 0xFFFFFFFFF78B6CBC, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2cqag.dll
product: ATI Radeon Family
description: Central Memory Manager / Queue Server Module
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ati2cqag.dll (Central Memory Manager / Queue Server Module, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: ati2cqag.dll ATI Technologies Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

On Sat 2011-03-19 21:21:25 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031911-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ati2dvag.dll (ati2dvag+0xCED9)
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFFFF80656E, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFF80656E, 0x0)
Google query: ati2dvag.dll ATI Technologies Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

On Mon 2011-03-14 07:58:28 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ati2mtag.sys (ati2mtag+0x180B9)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys
product: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver
description: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ati2mtag.sys (ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: ati2mtag.sys ATI Technologies Inc. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

See if the following helps resolve your issues:

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

See if the following helps resolve your issues:

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper and remove ONLY the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Do u think this is necessary because, as I said, I've unistalled, formatted the HDD and installed OS with newest mobo and video card drivers and win update - 3 days ago?

Before reinstallation of OS I've got BSODs too(see above) but not of this type. Should I upgrade BIOS or increase the voltage on the RAM? Could it be the PSU or video card, and how to diagnostic these?

Since reformatting are you getting any more Blue Screens? If so, please attach the five most recent in one Zip file.

Have you run Memtest on your RAM?

Since I reformatted I get 1 BSOD(Bad pool header) and its results u can see as quote 1 in #1 (the dump file is lost I noticed now?). I attach the latest 2 minidumps BEFORE the reformatting as well as a snapshoot of speedfan to see the voltages. I've read techspot.com/vb/topic44306.html and under PSU issues it says that "there is the 3.3v, the 5v and the 12v and the readings shouldn't deviate more than 5 or 6%. Note, this 5-6% rule only applies to the +3.3v, +5v and +12v rails (not the negative rails)."
Please take a look on the voltages. My +3.3V is 0V and the -12V is differing much but is maybe not so important.

I've installed the latest mobo drivers from nvidia(dated may 2011). Although on my mobos website asus.com there is a one and only "nVidia Chipset Driver 8.26"(dated dec 2006). Should it be installed or is this really an update? Is it included in the latest drivers from nvidia?

Attachments

• minidums_speedfan.zip
    49.3 KB · Views: 3
Power supply was one of my next guesses. And, yes you are correct the positive rails are what concerns us and if your +3.3v is actually zero then you will need a new psu.

Question: what did you use to test your power supply? NEVER Mind -- I see. software monitoring for your power supply voltages is not the best way to go. Do you have a digital multimeter or can you borrow one? I'll check the dumps.

UPDATE: The most important read in the minidump cites corrupted memory as your issue. Have you ever run memtest before?

I checked with Memtest86 for about 8,5 h(don't know how many cycles), 1 week ago and no errors where found with 2 RAM sticks. After reading techspot.com/vb/topic44306.html, the sticks should be tested separatelly. Should I do it again?

So u mean that speedfan is not so trustworthy. I can see if I can borrow a multimeter. However, I don't know how to measure the voltages.

Checking the voltages with hwmonitor the +3.3V is now +3.38V and speedfan is still showing 0V. Take a look in attached file. Conclusion?

Attachments

• hwmonitor.zip
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
Memtest is measured in Passes, not hours. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes and the more the better. As good as this test is bad RAM has been known to Pass on occasion.

Testing per stick would be a good idea.

The voltages seem fine but an actual digital multimeter would be the best here. If you are game I can direct you on how to use one. I have a Craftsman that I got for around $20 and it works great.

Problably the PSU is ok and we leave it for now. In my device manager there is 2 yellow question marks under "other devices". I got the same message(to the right in attached screenshot) when trying to reinstall or update "PCI device" or "unknown device". I don't know what this device is.

Attachments

• device manager.zip
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
Back