Bad Video Card?

By thisrandomlife
Sep 9, 2008
  1. Hello,
    First time poster here.

I just finished building my maybe 3rd or so computer. I'm having issues with it. I have everything setup, the psu, hd, dvd drive, ram and my graphics card. Everything is connected as it should be (I triple checked). But when I turn on the computer all the fans turn on but the monitor shows no output or POST. I don't hear any sounds from the mobo showing bad ram. I have tested the monitor on another computer and it works fine.

The monitor is an old VGA monitor and I am using a Geforce 9800 card, and I use the converter that comes with it also. I also tried anouther pci-e card to try and see if it was the video card. The monitor still just stay the same as it if as no output. Any Suggestions?

Also I don't know if this is important but the red light near the power switch stays a steady red.

And I have no successfully booted up the computer yet also. Is it just a bad video card?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 MOTHERBOARD
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    GeForce 9800
  2. X DarthMonkey X

X DarthMonkey X TS Rookie Posts: 76

Can we get some exact specs? What I'm most interested in are the following:

Motherboard brand/model and Chipset (chipset if possible)
    Power Supply brand/wattage
    Hard drives
    Optical drives
  3. DaMak420

DaMak420 TS Rookie Posts: 189

without knowing specs.... do you have BOTH 6pin power cables plugged in to your graphics card???
  4. thisrandomlife

thisrandomlife TS Rookie Topic Starter

i got it, one of the power supply cables was not in all the way, it must have slipped out for some odd reason.
  5. X DarthMonkey X

X DarthMonkey X TS Rookie Posts: 76

Congratulations to DaMak! =D

And grats to thisrandomlife for making it all work!
  6. DaMak420

DaMak420 TS Rookie Posts: 189

YAY! :):grinthumb
  7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

video questions belong in the video forum
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.