Bandwidth throttling prog....?

By fiddler
Mar 15, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I share my net connection (cable,2mb) between my daughter's pc and my own, so far so good. But there is a problem. I do a lot of online gaming, for which I need all the bandwidth I can get, but, if she's downlodaing music, which she invariably is, it makes playing virtually impossible because of my increased ping. I have tried adjusting the settings in her prog to limit the bandwidth, but it doesn't work, and an arguement ensues.
    What I would like, is a prog that will allow her all the available bandwith when I'm not playing, but, the moment I start playing, gives me prority.
    I have looked at some throttling progs, but they seem to just allow you to allocate bandwidth to certain users on a one time 'set it and leave it' basis.
    Does what I'm asking for exist?....If so where can I get it ,preferably free,lol.........
    Thanks...... :)
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,354   +302

This is a top-end feature; priority bandwidth allocation.
    if you find something, it will be commercial and very costly.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.