TechSpot

Battery advice

By Nadiaa
Jul 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi you all!

I have an Asus Laptop, last generation i7, 8gb... almost nice. Code: N550LF

Problem: I have to work all day with my laptop, with graphic software and so on.
    Almost 10/12 hours or more per day. In my old Dell (I had it for 5 years) I changed for this reason the battery every year.
    It is extremely important for my work, even if not everyone cares about battery.

Requested solution: what can I do to preserve (as much as possible) the battery?

What others said: A friend of mine told me to always plug in the computer, because the computer doesn't charge the battery when it is full. In this way I can preserve the battery.
    The Asus website doesn't give any advice about it.
    The official support by mail told me to not plug the battery when it is 100% charged. This could be dangerous. So, no way to preserve it.

And in your
    opinion?

Thank you in advance

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

• Batteries these days like to stay between 20% and 90% charge.
    • Leaving the laptop/device plugged in when it reaches 100% does no damage, as most devices have an automatic charge cut-off. So you won't over-charge your batteries.
    • The problem is, that you're keeping the battery between 98-100% charge all the time, when this is not a sweet spot for the battery at all. It will degrade very slightly faster.
    • Therefore, in order to keep maximum battery life, keep battery between 20-90% charge.

hellokitty[hk] likes this.
  3. Nadiaa

Nadiaa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi St1ckM4n :)
    that's perfect, thank you very much for you support!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.