Battery max-miser guage at 0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkouns001

My computer is a 7 year old IBM Thinkpad R31 series, factory installed battery still in place. I rarely, if ever, use battery power, am always connected to an AC outlet. Battery power usually stays at 98% but today it has dropped to 0%. I am a computer novice so I don't know what this sudden drop means, will I damage my computer by continuing to use it? Should I purchase a new battery?

Help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Remove the battery (And power adaptor !)

Hold down the on switch for 30 secs (dispersing all internal voltage)

Re-insert the battery and adaptor

Turn on

Is it now charging ?

leaving the battery in the laptop all the time and running the laptop with the power supply is not healthy for the battery. it is possible the battery died this time.
I hope for you this is not the case and kimslands procedure brings it back but I would recommend to take it off the laptop while using power supply.

Thanks all for your responses.

I will try kimsland suggestion but I think my battery has seens its last day, I have never replaced it in 7 years and yes, msrcx, I have left it in my computer while using my power supply. I was not aware that by doing so it would drain the computer.

I hate to buy a new battery, unless I can find a really cheap one, since I plan to purchase a new laptop in a couple of months.

I think thats an ok price and if you want to sell your 7years old whenever you buy a new one you may get more money for it if you do sell it with a working battery.

Wow, thank you much. That sounds like a great price that I don't mind putting into my computer, kimsland, and thats a good suggestion and reason to buy, mscrs. You guys rock, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back